To Those I Disagree With

To Those I Disagree With

An apology for using politics to justify hatred.

9
To Those I Disagree With
Isidewith.com

Today, as I was perusing my Facebook news feed, I ran across an article (http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/02/opinion/donald-trump-voters-just-hear-me-out.html?smid=fb-share&_r=0) that left me not only feeling good about my personal choices as an American citizen and voter, but prompted me to really evaluate my attitude toward others.

I will admit that my ability to conceal my passionate opinions is often lacking, especially during presidential campaign season when I can lose sight of the bigger picture. While I'm always subconsciously aware that there are varying political views to be found in those that populate my life, I can occasionally take on a tone of ugly arrogance, inflexibility, sarcasm, and disrespect. What's worse is that immature tone is inappropriately directed at those who are "insane" enough to disagree with me due to their own passionate opinions; not at their [il]logic, [lack of] research, or [poorly vetted] sources, but at their person.

To be clear, this is not an article apologizing for either of the following: 1) My opinions about politics or 2) Unfriending people on social media for the things they have said/commented/posted throughout this campaign season. I have nothing to apologize for in regard to either of those topics. (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/i-didnt-unfriend-you-over-politics_us_580fa553e4b06e45c5c6ff43 explains my feelings about no. 2 quite well).

This is my attempt at taking ownership of my graceless words towards those who have not experienced the world as I have and therefore ascribe to a different political plan for our country.

This is my apology for seeing politics as millions of shades of gray and opposing political opinions as starkly black and white.

This is a promise that, from now on, I will not post while angry. I will not belittle another human being over a contrasting opinion.

I am not alone in my hasty, unfiltered, angry posting about the political "other" on the internet. In fact, I could probably pass myself off as some sort of angel in comparison to the terrifying corners of the internet devoted to hating the opposition. BUT, I am the only one who can name, own, and perhaps atone for my personal mistakes. So that is what I will do.

I feel strongly about a few things when it comes to politics. Okay, quite a few things. These include: the future of education (public and otherwise), the economy, social justice (equality for all - no, but I really mean for ALL), diplomacy (including a candidate's general approach towards international relations and our country's place in the world), and healthcare (with a special shout out to female reproductive rights and affordable insurance for those of us with serious, long-term medical care costs). Of course, I care about the whole Presidency and all that position entails, both nationally and internationally, but what it really comes down to for me as an active voter are those subjects listed above. And while I don't expect to agree 100% on every one of those subjects, I do expect to feel confident and calm about voting for a candidate based on these subjects.

As such, I take the time to research; I read copious articles, look into the sourcing of their information, and take legitimate quizzes (like https://www.isidewith.com/) to help me determine an overview of the candidates and who I should put my support behind. In other words, I take this voting-for-our-nation's-leaders thing pretty seriously.

Here's where I lack humility and grace.

After researching, weighing my moral beliefs and life experiences in comparison with the plans that each candidate has for this country, and listening to what others (including the candidates themselves) have to say, I become committed. This commitment can become vicous loyalty - that in all fairness a politician does not necessarily deserve from me - that lashes out at anyone who deigns to disagree.

There is nothing wrong with my refuting a point that a friend posts about one candidate or another. There is nothing wrong with posting my reasons for voting one way or another. I get to have opinions and social media should be a safe place, a place filled with people that I have chosen to allow access to my life, to share those opinions in a respectful way. And once I've shared that opinion or refuted that point, I should be able to maintain my civility with others who choose to take part in that same conversation.

For the most part, I think I do. But that small percentage of the time where I go off on someone for defending Trump's discriminatory outlook and cease to see them as a person with thoughts and experiences and concerns of their own is where I become the problem.

As one who feels strongly about social justice, I like to think of myself as someone who looks for prejudice and attempts to correct the situation, even if only in myself. Yet, for some reason, particularly throughout the last few months of this ugly presidential campaign, I have been blindly justifying my prejudices and down-right hatred of many Trump supporters. I'm validating the very hatred that drives me to speak out in the first place.

No more.

I apologize to those whose ears, walls, and news feeds have been filled with my irate, disrespectful words towards those whose concerns and solutions to the world's problems are different than mine. I promise you that I will no longer use my public platforms as a place to put down another. There will be no more mud-slinging-slang pointed at any one individual. I will continue to disagree with you and probably explain my reasoning when I come across a post that misses the mark for me, but I will do so calmly, treating you (and myself) with the respect and dignity that we all deserve as human beings. I will strive to use my words and actions to demonstrate my commitment to equality and freedom for all. I will re-prioritize my identity as a follower of Christ by choosing to respond as He did - and I don't mean turning the other cheek. I'm talking about radical grace, mercy, patience, and love that is shown to me on a daily basis. I am doubling down in my efforts to extend grace to all, even in the face of the worst kind of season: election season.

I will not allow a difference of opinion to push me toward verbal hatred. I am above such debasement of humanity, and no one - not a single person - deserves such treatment.