To The Valdosta State Class of 2021

To The Valdosta State Class of 2021

Welcome to your new home away from home!

46
To The Valdosta State Class of 2021
VSU MyPages

As you're preparing for the grand move to Valdosta and double checking that you packed everything, my biggest encouragement is to just breathe. Transitioning from high school to college can be an overwhelming experience at times, but this is a time to evolve and become your own person. So take every opportunity this campus has to offer and go out to get involved. From Greek life to fall explosive, I encourage you to get out your dorms and make a name for yourself on this campus. This is the only chance you'll really get to make your firsts in Valdosta so make it count. Don't be afraid to hug your parents a little extra when they leave because you never know when you'll see them next especially if you live far from home. Please, I can not express this enough, try not to go home every weekend because you can't really experience Valdosta during the week because you're constantly busy with school. Weekends are meant for bonding with your fellow residents and RAs. It is meant for late nights at Waffle House and driving around getting to know all the many places Valdeezy has to offer. You don't want to miss out on too much fun going home every weekend, but also I am not encouraging you to be one of those people who never goes home because I know your family misses you and would love just to see your face every once in awhile. Know the importance this year has for you. Enjoy the Residence Hall life, even if you may hate your roommate at moments (which trust me it will probably happen) yet embrace the small community you have been engrossed in. Get to know your neighbors and maybe have a movie night or two with them.

As a fellow Resident Assistant who has anxiously been waiting for my Reade hall girls, know that we have been preparing! For almost two weeks we have been on campus training and planning for the best ways to make sure our residents are equipped and ready to have the best year of their lives. From simple questions like how to do laundry and where is the mail room we are ready to answer. Even the hard ones like choosing between college and your long distance relationship, I want you to know we are ready for it all. Bring it on Freshman, whatever challenge you are ready to tackle your RAs have been waiting to root you on, be a shoulder to lean on, and most importantly be a friend. Also remember to leave the childish stuff at home, you're officially grown adults and if you want to be treated like one then act like it. Be smart and use your head that's all I can say. I want this to be an awesome year for you guys. I want you to look back on Freshmen year as so much growth. There may be a few mistakes every now and then, but a year that you really started to become the person you have always strived to be. So welcome fellow Blazers! Be prepared for a one day move in that has been mapped out to the T and possibly a year of several bumps, but I have no doubt Valdosta going to look good on you!