To the Uninvolved Girl Who Is About To Go To College
Life Stages

To The 'Uninvolved' High School Girl Who Is About To Go To College, Get Ready To Jump In

As one uninvolved high schooler I have to say being involved in college is the greatest thing that ever happened to me.

82

I know a lot of people say that their university is home, but the University of Oklahoma has become a home for me.

Two years ago I transferred to Oklahoma, I didn't know anyone, I didn't know what to expect, and I surely didn't think I would be profoundly changed in the way that I have been while here. I have gained so much more than an education here. I've met some of my best friends, I've been given leadership opportunities, and I've become a confident and outspoken woman.

When I got to OU after community college I threw myself into organizations that I felt would have a positive impact on me and ultimately threw myself into the culture at OU.

I got involved in Sigma Phi Lambda, I got involved in Camp Crimson, I got involved in the Odyssey, I got involved in the Independent Greek Council's judicial board, I got involved in a church, and I got involved in Encounter. At first, it was a little overwhelming, but through all of these organizations, I have met people who love and care about me. I have made memories screaming at OU-Texas, learned tons of OU traditions and loved them, learned that I love serving others, learned that things happen for a reason, and I live a life full of light and joy. I have found my passions in my major and minor, and I've found who I am. I never thought that I'd find all this when I transferred almost two years ago. Life now compared to when I transferred is more than anything I could have ever imagined. It makes the fact that I'm a year from graduating both sad and exciting. I have found so much joy being at my dad's alma mater, and being able to experience college with my (not so) little brother. I love this place and my memories of my time here will always bring me joy.

I've become everything that 14-year-old Miranda wanted but never went after because she was scared of what people would think of her.

She was scared of not being accepted.

My life was great before the University of Oklahoma, don't get me wrong. The thing is I never made solid connections with people in high school. My best friend didn't even go to my school. I just kind of skated by, didn't really take leadership roles, wasn't really involved in the organizations I was in, and I didn't enjoy high school much at all.

So, to the girl who is transferring or to the girl who is a freshman starting college who wasn't involved in high school but wanted to be: JUMP IN.

Obviously, don't overwhelm yourself. Take advantage of leadership roles, apply for anything that interests you and if people say no keep trying. If you don't like your major, switch to one you feel passion for or one that interests you enough to THAT for the rest of your life. Trust me, your parents will be happy that you are happy. Don't let others take your joy from you. Strive to be the person you've always wanted to be because eventually, you will be her. You are in charge of your happiness, do things that bring you that. Don't waste time or energy on something that doesn't bring you happiness. I know, this all seems easier said than done, but just do it. Jump in, you'll become who you were always meant to be and more.

Your time in college should be dedicated to finding yourself while also preparing for a future you can be proud of.