To The Professor Who Altered My Life Path

It's never unusual for someone to change their majors more than once when entering college. In fact, there's so many ways in which people can go from one major to the next. Some apply to colleges undecided about what they want to do, some may jump from major to major until they find what best suits them, or some have this whole plan set for themselves in a major they're confident about.

When I applied for colleges as a young senior in high school, I was one of those students who set this big plan for themselves with every single step planned out for the next four years. It was such a particular and intricate plan that made me believe that I would be able to accomplish this. This isn't pretty abnormal for someone who attends college right after high school considering the amount of attention that goes into the college application process. In fact, I'd argue and say that this is the ideal, that to know what you want to study for the next four years and (eventually) get a career in this would be worthwhile.

The only difference for me was that I chose a major I had zero confidence in.

Science was never my strong suit at all, even when I was in high school. I always found it to be too complicated and intimidating, as if it was written in a foreign language I couldn't understand. And no matter how much I studied and looked over the material before any exam, I always felt lost and discouraged. Along with that, even subjects like Math would stump me similarly. My forte has always, and still does, revolve around literature classes. And quite frankly, I've always found it easier and more interesting writing an essay or reading a piece of literature over memorizing formulas and knowing scientific concepts.Even though I knew it would be impossible to stimulate any interest to try to learn the material, I chose to become a biology major in the hopes of going into the medical field. And, looking back on it, this was truthfully never a conscious choice that I willingly made considering the amount of pressure I was facing from many people within my own family encouraging me to pursue in a kind of job that would make me very successful. A job like being a doctor was the ideal.

Even though I knew science was never my strong suit, I decided to pursue in it because I wanted to be successful. Luckily in the first semester ever in college, I didn't immediately start off with any science related courses towards my major. My classes revolved around the basic requirements that nearly everyone needed to take with English Comp I being one of those things.

So I enjoyed myself in the first semester as I focused on all the non-science classes I was taking. English especially was a genuinely enjoyable time for me because of my professor. She shared the same enthusiasm I had regarding reading and writing and I felt it was so easy talking to her and seeking advice for nearly everything. It really helped me a lot to adjust from the transition from high school into college as well! The transition from the first semester into the second, however, was a little harder. It was the first time I was going to be actually taking a science course for my major.

Without going into the depressing, really emotionally draining details, let's just say I wasn't having a good time at all when the next semester began. I was ready to take on this science course, I really was, but I was discouraged and intimidated from day one. It was no surprise really, but in that moment, in the month and a half I stayed in that class, I was not in a good place. I still remember the feelings of dread and high amounts of panic attacks I would have.

Remember how I mentioned I took some basic required classes in the first semester? Well that carried on over to the second semester as well and I found myself in English Comp II, another requirement for nearly all majors. I purposefully chose the class with the same professor who taught the Comp I class as well. During my time of uncertainty and dread regarding my major, my English professor started noticing my discontent and unusual behavior and wanted to know what was happening. I spent a very long time talking to her on one particular afternoon and after that, I found myself in the English department at my college, officially changing my major.

It's been almost two years later and I still can't believe I've changed my major. I went from something I felt helpless and uncertain in to a major where I actually feel like I'm learning something and I can be a success. And all of this was never possible if my professor never helped me in my time of need.

So to the English Comp I professor who completely altered and shattered the 4-year plan I had set for myself, I want to thank you for being one of the biggest influences in my life. Not only have I increased my grades and have gained so much skill in writing, but I've become someone that is more comfortable with the thought of continuing my education and pursuing in a career that best suits my interests.

I also want to thank you for enabling me to becoming happier. I've also become much happier than I was just two years ago and I think that's the biggest accomplishment yet.