An Open Letter To The Person Who Lost A Loved One

I'm sorry that you are reading this article, but I promise it gets better.

17
Mike Labrum- unsplash

I want to start off by saying that I'm extremely sorry for your loss. Losing someone can be one of the worst things you will have to go through. The healing process is not easy. Trust me, I know what you're feeling. I lost my father a while back, and I'm still healing.

I know what you're going though or what you have been through already. I know that feeling of emptiness that you feel. I have been through the breakdowns- the ones where you cry so much until your head hurts and the ones where you clutch your chest because the pain that you are experiencing feels it's stopping you from breathing. I know the thoughts you're having- the ones where you think about the last time you saw them, what you could have done more, the ones where you realize that you will never be able to see them again. I know. I'm sorry if you know about this too.

But here's another thing I know. You are going to be okay. It's not easy and it's going to take time, but you are going to get through this.

There is no specific way to heal after you have lost someone important to you. Different coping mechanisms allow individuals to heal in ways that only work for them. There is no certain way or length of time for grieving. But one thing to remember is: you should always let yourself go through the healing process. You don't have to put on a tough face and pretend like you're okay all the time. Being upset doesn't mean you're weak; it's okay to face your emotions.

Never try to skip over this process because there will be consequences for your mental health in the long run. Don't bottle things up. Allow yourself to feel the grief and let it out. Talk to someone! This can be a professional or just someone you feel comfortable with. Leaning on your friends and family is important during this time. You need to know that there are people out there who want to help you, who will support you and be there for you.

There will be times when it'll hit you like the first time you found out. You'll be going about your day and then you'll remember and it will hurt so much but just remember to breathe. Remember the good times, remember them the way they would want to be remembered. You're doing okay, I promise.