To The Person Who Feels Like They're Drowning

Take a deep breath

254
Tal Oren

Hey there!

I understand how you feel. There's always something going on: a homework assignment due, an exam to study for, a meeting you must attend, people you want to hang out with, a mandatory event you need to go to, and you feel like you just can't do it all. The to-do list is longer than ever and one day you find yourself using shampoo as body wash because you ran out. Yes, I'm speaking from experience.

I sat one day and cried thinking about how there wasn't enough hours in the day to get it all done. I considered dropping and leaving an organization I was apart of or maybe dropping a class just to make more time. I didn't know what to do. I felt like I was drowning. I always tried catching up on my work but it kept piling on and pushing me down. I felt like everyone else had their life together and was always so happy and doing great. I felt so alone. I found myself waiting for it to be over. Here's the thing, you are not alone

Here is what I kept reminding myself (and still do!!) We are in college. This is the time to be involved and have experiences and to do it all, but there's only so much we can take on. The only thing we can do is try our best!!! In the big scheme of things, getting a bad grade on 1 exam isn't the end of the world. Missing an event to study is okay!!! Its alright to choose hanging out with friends over studying for an exam. Its also alright to choose studying over hanging out with friends. Everything is going to be okay!!!

I thought to myself one day, I am taking back my life. I will not let the stress of things get to me. Here's my advice to you. Make a to-do list. Prioritize what you need to do. Do the important things but also have fun. Imagine that picture of the 2 coal miners. One of them gave up so close to the diamonds and other guy was not too far behind him but he wasn't giving up. He was getting to the diamonds. Don't give up. Breathe. Smile. Everything happens for a reason. Things are going to lessen up and you're gonna be so happy you fought this battle.