To The Person I Hope To Be In 2018

To The Person I Hope To Be In 2018

A lot of people have resolutions for the new year; I'm hopping on the bandwagon by writing about them.

39
To The Person I Hope To Be In 2018
Kaela Brandi

A lot of people have New Year's resolutions. Whether that is to lose weight, be a better person, or not to eat as badly as last year. Well for me, those include some of my resolutions. I think I might make this a yearly tradition, to start writing a letter to myself at the beginning of the year to keep myself motivated to become a better person overall. So without further due, here’s a letter to myself for 2018.

Dear Kaela,

It’s Kaela from early 2018... Clearly. I have many hopes and dreams for you. I want to look back at this at the end of the year to see what we have achieved. My goals this year is to launch my personal website for all to see what I have to say in life and to show my passion of art - whether that be makeup posts, articles I’ve written or found, videos I’ve made, and whatever else I think of. Tagging along with that, I think it’s also really important to focus on graphic design and our soon-to-be-opened Etsy shop. Most people don’t know it, but I love creating. Creating invitations, posters, and digital paintings are my main areas but I dabble in everything.

2018 is the year where i’m not so lost in life. What I mean is that I want to end this year on a good note - a note of knowing what I'm going to do with my degree in graphic design after college and knowing what I can further achieve during my time at Sacred Heart University.

When it comes to making friends, I get really shy and nervous just because you never know someone’s true intentions and you feel like you get judged after you meet them. However, this isn't a completely healthy thought to be thinking, and I'm trying to overcome the fear.

Another main aspiration this year is to be a better daughter to my parents. I know I’m not the easiest person to live with 24/7, but I’m trying to push my “attitude problem” when they say something I don’t like to the side so there’s never tension. Not like there is now, but it’s always better to talk diplomatically rather then full-on yelling with a lot of built-up anger.

Another goal is to not make myself feel awkward in any conversations. If anyone has this problem, you know what I’m talking about. I’m that type of person to always have to keep the conversation going so there’s never any uncomfortable, awkward silences. By now, you’re probably reading this like “sounds like this girl has a lot of psychological issues” or “No one really experiences this. Just get over it.” The thing is… I can’t. I’ve had a lot of conflicts in my life that I’ve either witnessed or gone through that have made me this way. So my next goal is to let go of of the past and become more myself around other people.

I have plenty more goals - and I don’t want this to be 50,000 words - but essentially, it’s to show more love to everyone in my life who is close to me. You never know when the last time you speak to someone is.

Overall, I hope 2018 is a really good year. I hope it brings new beginnings and closes doors to situations and people that are toxic. I hope it’s the year of happiness and trust - and not another 2017.

Sincerely,

Kaela from early 2018.