To The Ones Who Put, 'Teach' In 'Teacher'

"To teach is to touch a life, forever"

25
Schuyler Talbert

Teacher.

Merriam-Webster.com defines teacher as, "A person or thing that teaches something; especially : a person whose job is to teach students about certain subjects". While that is obviously true, a teacher is SO much more than someone who teaches a subject. A teacher is a role model, a tutor, a friend, a listener, a helping hand, and a leader just to name a few. You may not realize it, but your teachers are such big, important parts of your life. They help shape the person you have become. And they are most likely shaping the person you will become, even after you leave their classroom. So say thank you, every now and then.

Everyone knows that teachers often do not receive the credit that they deserve. With my current major being education, I've experienced first hand the judgmental remarks that they put up with. Just because someone doesn't make more than $100,000 a year, does not mean that what they do is any less important. In my opinion, teaching is one of, if not the most, important jobs. Teachers are training others to become doctors, or the kid that cures cancer, or the person that changes the world. The person that is making more than $100,000 a year got there because of the teachers they had in their life. So, the next time you act superior to a teacher due to your larger salary, remember how you got there and who helped you.

Since graduating high school, I've begun to realize that my teachers are in it for the long haul. Just because you leave the school, does not mean that your teachers leave you. Your teachers, from kindergarten to 12th grade, want to see you succeed and achieve your goals while being there if you need a helping hand. I have a teacher from high school (who actually never taught me) that I know I can count on. If I need someone to vent to or help with school, she is only a text away. She will sacrifice her own time to help me with Algebra even though she teaches Spanish or to listen to me rant about little things. I have countless teachers that I know I can count on, regardless of how long it has been since I left their classroom. It's reassuring to know that you've always got someone on your side.

To all of the teachers I have encountered: Your hard work does not go unnoticed. Your dedication is appreciated. Your love is returned.

Thank you for believing in me, even when I didn't believe in myself. I can recall so many times when I wanted to quit because I didn't think I could do it. Whether it was my high school journalism class or the dreaded TAKS/STAAR test, I had multiple people on my side. (And lets face it, if I had quit my journalism class, I would not have the love for writing that I do or be the writer I am to today. Special shout out to my journalism teacher that always had my back, even when I missed a deadline).

Thank you for loving me as if I was your own child. I now know that you pushed me because you knew what I was capable of, even if I couldn't see it myself. You taught me never to underestimate myself and to always push myself to the breaking point. You showed me that the determination, hard work, and the occasional tears were worth it.

And thank you for being there for me, even after I left your classroom. Because of you, I've become someone that I never thought I could be. You showed me that college will be worth it. You showed me that I will overcome all of the hardships I am facing now. And you've shown me just what it means to be a teacher. I hope one day, that I am even half the teacher you are.

So a final thank you to all of the teachers that taught me in my 13 years of education, whether it was a subject you taught or just a life lesson. I appreciate you all, and I thank you all for being such large impacts in my life. You made a difference.