Sometimes It's Hard Being A Non-Athlete

Sometimes It's Hard Being A Non-Athlete

I encourage you not to be bitter.

210
Sometimes It's Hard Being A Non-Athlete
Corks and Caftans

Sixty-five percent to 35 percent. That’s the ratio of student athletes to non-athletes at my college. It might not seem super overwhelming in percentages, but the school only has 600 students. That means that approximately 390 students are athletes. Overwhelming yet? I am not a student athlete, though not for a lack of trying. I did the individual sports when I was young (which aren’t usually offered at a school this small), and then attempted team sports through middle and high school. I found that, even though my spirit wants to be athletic, my body and skill level say no. So it’s hard to be a non-athlete sometimes.

It seems like every other day the class that you attend has someone missing for a game, practice or something. Yet you never have those excused days. You find out that even though your grades are just the same or better than the person sitting next to you, they get more scholarships than you do, even though college is for an education (not to discredit athletes).

When you’re a non-athlete freshman coming to a new college with no one from home coming with you, you have to find friends. On a team, you’re given those friends from the first day. There’s a special awards night for athletes, but what if I’m just an average student — where’s my award? It’s hard being a non-athlete.

Even though it seems like athletes get the special treatment, think about everything that they have to go through: practice, pre-season, post-season, games, travelling and crazy teammates or crazy coaches. Even though they miss that class, they missed all the information from it. They have to make up work every day, on top of all of their other responsibilities. Imagine doing double the work with the same amount of time. That’s the life of an athlete. Even though they have friends the first day, everyone starts to change once the school year starts, and they could lose them just as easily as the non-athlete. The athletes get special awards for doing special things; once the non-athlete does something special, then they will as well.

So to the non-athlete, I encourage you not to be bitter. It’s really easy to get to a place of disliking athletes. I’ve heard every comment in the book. Instead of tearing your fellow students down, you should do something to help or encourage them. Instead of being mad that a classmate missed class, take their work to them at a game. Then, not only do they get the work that they need, but they get support for their team. Go to the games of your athlete friends to support them and your school. You could either be bitter or redirect your feelings to be supportive. Be the best non-athlete that you can be and support all the students around you.

Athletes work hard, just like you, but in different ways.

Be a supporter, not a hater.