To The Mom With Young Children In Church

I see you every Sunday coming into Church, with your toddlers in tow and a tiny baby, still too young to walk on her own. You look back and make sure the toddlers are still behind you as you find your way to your seat. You set the baby carrier down and corral the little ones in before you take a seat.

Having littles can seem like the worst thing in the world at times, especially when they are in church, where its quiet, and they decide that right then, they need to play, scream, cry, or complain really loud about whatever is on their minds. Little Children always seem to know the 'best' worst time to get as loud as possible.

I see the anguish flush across your face as soon as they begin to get loud. The thought in the back of your head, that you want to be anywhere else at that point in time, then to be sitting in that church pew, in the middle of a sermon, with a screaming little one.

But I would like to say thank you. Thank you for making the effort, being at church. Being present, and raising your little ones to know our creator. Every time they scream or cry, or kick or make a ruckus, pause, take a deep breath...

... and remember, you are raising them right, to know our Savior. Its okay, if they get a little out of hand from time to time, because you did it, you got yourself up, got them ready, and showed up. God see's that effort. Raising them in the church will help solidify their relationship with God.

To the church member who cringes at the fact of an unruly little one, take a deep breath. Sit back, remember, the parent that you see, watching in horror as their little ones make as much noise as possible, have made an effort to be there, despite everything that has gone wrong that day from spilled juice to throw up.

While it isn't ideal to hear screaming in the middle of a sermon, you just have to go with the flow and remember, this is the next generation. Next time you see a little one being unruly, make it a point to go up to the parents and welcome them, remind them, that no matter what, they are always welcome, that they are part of the family.