​To The Man Who Will Love Me After My Heartbreak

An open letter to the man who will make me forget that I was ever hurt.

666
Wikia

Dear future love,

Hi! I’m not sure who you are, but I already know you’re amazing. I know this because I promised myself that the man who I would allow to love me after my heartbreak would be held to high standards. I’ve settled for less and ended up getting hurt, so this time around I’ll gladly wait for the best -- I’ll gladly wait for you.

I'm very excited to meet you and to begin making memories. I'll warn you -- I'm still a work in progress, but I'm hoping that you are too. I want to grow with you and I want us to encourage each other to be the best versions of ourselves. Through my heartbreak, I was able to grow some as an individual; this growth included realizing my worth and what it will take to allow someone the key to my heart. My promise to you is that I will love you with no reservation, so long as you promise me that you’ll take into consideration these guidelines.

1. Thank you.

It takes a strong man to love a woman that has been through so much. You could have had anyone you wanted -- a bubbly, unbroken beauty, but you chose me and I thank you for that. The fact that you view me for who I am instead of damaged or used goods speaks volumes.

2. Please be patient with me.

I’ve already grieved the loss of my prior relationship and have decided to allow you in, but that doesn’t mean I don’t still hurt. A few days in particular will sting the most, so forgive me if I temporarily check out. There will be sayings, songs, and mannerisms that knot my stomach, but as we create our own memories, these will fade away.

3. I do love you even if I'm awful at showing it.

I spent years giving love to someone who didn’t return it, so this time around, I may not always have my heart on my sleeve. I spent the latter part of my relationship building up walls, because I knew my world would soon crumble around me. I want you to break down these walls, but I’ll warn you now that it won’t be easy.

4. Give me space, but always be there for me.

I’m extremely independent, yet appreciate the feeling of being taken care of. Let me do my own thing, as I’ll encourage you to do yours, but always leave the door open.

You’ll find that I am a very social girl - some nights I may want to go out and have a girls’ night, others I may want to drag you along for the ride. Be open to both, because I can’t miss you if we’re never apart.

5. Remind me how much I mean to you.

Let me wake up each morning and fall asleep each night knowing that I’m on your mind. I don’t like feeling unsure of where I stand with someone, so never let me question it. I am a confident person, but I do need affirmation from time to time.

6. Never take me for granted.

I am a good girl. I will love you, take care of you, encourage you, and pray for you, but I will not be taken for granted. I spent too many years caring for someone and getting little appreciation in return -- I’m not making that mistake again.

This doesn’t mean that I expect you to thank me each time I do something for you. A simple forehead kiss or an “I love you” will do just fine.

7. Laugh at me, laugh with me, laugh at yourself.

Don’t take me too seriously and don’t take yourself too seriously, either. I want to goof off with you -- I want to make funny faces, dance ridiculously, and sing terribly with you. Love should be fun and laughs should come often.

8. Respect and don't hurt me.

I’ve been hurt time and time, again. I forgave someone over and over for things that should have been deal breakers, but that won’t be the case this time around. My problem is that I’m too forgiving and too loving. Don’t mistake this for weakness; I know my worth, so trust me when I say that I’m not afraid to leave.

From Your Site Articles