to the man who taught me to never settle for less than i deserve... thank you.

i am so thankful for you and all you have taught me in this life.

405

Growing up, I never could quite understand why my dad was so protective of me when it came to relationships and the guys I brought in and out of my life. Only time would teach me and help me understand why he was so protective of me, specifically in that aspect. My dad has always been protective, as all dads tend to be but, with my dad being a firefighter, it was as though the protectiveness in him was more prominent, every single day, one of the many reasons I love this man.

I grew up watching my dad shower my mom with unconditional love on a daily basis, even if he was away on his 24 hour shift, he has never let a day pass without my mom knowing how much he loves her, and to this very day, he still does not let a day pass without letting her know how much he loves her. I have seen the purest, truest marriage and relationship, grow in love and passion every single day of my life, for 19 years. That has only continued to help me realize what I deserve in this life when it comes to what I look for and long for in a man that deserves to hold my heart and be apart of my life until the end of my time.

If we are being completely honest here, I have brought a lot of assholes into my life, truly. I have had 3 guys in my life who I have shared significant relationships with. My first one was your typical first young love, I dated the "bad boy," and was so excited by the thrill of this relationship that I was too stubborn and hard-headed to realize that this relationship was not what I needed in my life, especially at 14 and 15 years old. It was this relationship and the one I was in after this, that I never saw eye to eye on with my Dad. My following relationship was my high school sweetheart, the person I consider to be my first true love. This relationship consumed me and my time, while it had so many high points and I was so in love, there were plenty of things that were toxic in this relationship. Any Dad would be the first to realize that, and when my Dad was trying to protect me from the things I was blindsided by, I would not listen, I was young and in love and thought there was no way in the world my Dad could be right... But as always, he was. My most recent relationship was with the person who I truly thought was the love of my life, I envisioned my whole future with this person, but yet I was blinded for 6 months until I found out I was being cheated on the whole duration of our relationship, which shattered my heart into a million pieces. Of course, I told my Dad we had broken up but hid the real reason as to why we had broken up. Once I told him I had been cheated on, he had already known, Dad's are intuitive like that. My Dad can read me, inside and out. I tend to forget that. He has raised me, experienced life with me, shaped me and my heart and has raised me to be the woman I am today.

I am approaching my twentieth year of life, or should I say... my eight-plus twelfth year of life (I know you will appreciate that Dad). As I am beginning to enter and endure a new stage of life, especially after my first true heartbreak that I have experienced in my life, I am now realizing how right my Dad always was about the boys, yes... BOYS, I was bringing in to my life. I never could quite understand why my Dad was so protective of me when it came to these relationships, but it all makes sense to me now.

Dad,

Thank you for protecting my heart at all costs, ever since the day I was born. Thank you for guiding me through all of the hard times along with all of the simple times in this life. Thank you for showing me true love, from the love you shower my Mom with, to the love you shower my siblings and me with, I know what true love is in this life because of the love I have grown up witnessing and receiving. Thank you for being my rock, day in and day out. Thank you for knowing when people are not good for me or deserving enough to be in my life, there are so many times I wish I would have listened to you, but I learned, just as you knew I would. You have taught me who is deserving of my heart, time and effort. You have shown me to never doubt my worth. I am on an incredible journey in life because you have given and blessed me this opportunity. You have provided me with so many blessings and given our family the most wonderful life. I truly can not wait for the day I can repay you.

I hope you never forget, that no man who enters my life could EVER take your place. You will always be the number one man in my life. You will always be my Hero. You will always be the first man I have ever loved and who has ever loved me. No man could ever compare to you. I hope I have made you proud, even during the times I was too stubborn to listen to you. Thank you for all you have done for me and all you continue to do for me. You are the one who has taught me to never settle for less than I deserve and trust me, I will never settle for less than I deserve.

I will forever be your little girl and your princess.

And you will forever be My King.

I love you Dad.

-Pard