To The Homesick Freshman... It WILL Get Better

Even if you're not homesick, you're kind of homesick.
16

Dear Freshman,

Syllabus week is overwhelming, to say the least, even though people try to act as though it's dipping your foot in the pool of college. More realistically it's like being thrown into the pool and then yanked out by the nape of your neck at the end of each class. It's important that you remember everything isn't going to happen all at once for the whole year, although it will feel that way sometimes.

Have you called your parents yet? Now, think hard about this. You've probably called at least one of them, maybe even more than once. But did you call your dad three times and never get the chance to talk directly to your mom? Go call your mom, just in case. You're going to start missing them and they'll miss you too. Even if they're busy when they call, they're probably not too busy for your call.

Sometimes you'll get lonely, even with your great roommate and couple of friends you made from orientation activities. These new friends aren't substitutes for your family, and they won't ever be, but things will get a lot more comfortable as you settle in.

Join that club that looks like fun. At first, you'll feel like you're on the outside of things, but before you know it you'll be a part of every inside joke.

When you're looking at your friend's social media, and thinking that they're adjusting better than you or that they have settled in with no problems whatsoever, remember what your own Instagram looks like. No one is having the kind of semester or year or life they're trying to show you on their social media.

Don't beat yourself up over it. Just take a deep breath.

Before you know it, it will be your senior year and you'll be stressed over making time to see all of your friends, being the officer in the club you joined, what you'll do to your graduation cap and just how the four years went so fast.

You got this, freshman. You so, undeniably, got this.