To The Guy Who Broke My Heart On Valentine's, I Forgive You

At first, I wanted to punch the guy who broke my heart out of all days, on Valentine's Day. But I actually feel fine and I forgive him.

59

We started out as friends. Then my best friend, I trusted him. I told him everything. There was something about him, that made him different than most guys. He wasn't a player. He was a smart, hard-working person who cared for me. Those mid-night calls and times we faced-time were the best. Texting me everyday cause he just was missing me. I just couldn't find something wrong with him.

It all started with a small crush but he didn't know and we were just acquaintances, "Hey, what's up". Corny jokes here and there. Then I was going through hard times with my family and he cared, was the only one who asked if I was okay. It started as a phone call here and there, late-night texting till 3 or 4 am, and we both had to wake up early to work. But we managed.

He became my best friend. He knew things no one else knew about me. He knew my past and I knew his but it wasn't weird. It was nice to finally trust someone and let it out of my chest. We were very close for about a year then he asked me out on a Friday night. We ate in the car and talked. It was like a mini-romantic date. Then it became 2 dates during the week since we both had busy schedules with work and school.

After a couple of dates, we kissed. I can definitely say, what a great kisser but it felt weird in a way because I liked him and he liked me but I felt we did better as best friends instead of a couple. But we continued going out. We did dinner, movies, shopping and just hanging out.

A couple of weeks ago, we decided to go to a hotel to relax and watch a movie so we didn't have to go to a movie theater and out to eat. What we didn't expect to happen, happened. We continued going out.

Valentine's day comes and he calls me, and we have one of our normal conversation which ends with "We have to talk". When a girl hears those words, we get an idea of where this is going. So he picked me up from work and we grabbed lunch. Then he starts telling me if I felt weird too as he did because before we were best friends and it was just perfect. We dated but it never felt like we were actually dating cause we never kissed until after a couple of times going out. He decided that we should go back to just being friends.

For a moment, I wanted to punch him as I stood staring at him. Then looked around as were we eating lunch in a small restaurant with couples surrounding us and being all romantic. Then I realized I became single on Valentine's day but it was for the better. He got a new girlfriend after a few weeks and we talk about it and it's actually not weird. We have certain limits of what he tells me about his girlfriend. Sometimes we just need a best guy friend, then a boyfriend. Or maybe not, who knows at this point.