To The Girl Who Didn't Make The Cheerleading Team

Trust me, your life isn't over.

12258
Greg Bohn

At this moment, you probably think your life is over. You didn't make the squad. You have been dreaming of the day you would wear that uniform and own those pom-poms. What are you supposed to do now? All of your friends made it and you didn't. This is the worst day ever.

I know the frustration and the hurt you are feeling, because I have been there too. It seems like you are worthless; how can you ever recover from this? But trust me, it is all going to be okay. I know it seems as if your life is over, but it is not, I promise you that.

I know you think you can never try out again, that you will never be able to show your face again. If you love cheerleading, try out again, because you never know what will happen. You will live a life of "what if I would have tried out again?" You have a whole year to practice and get better. Next year, you might be just the girl they want for their team. If you love it that much, give it another chance.

If it is something you want, I truly hope you make it. Sometimes, even though you try really hard and practice a hundred times more, it doesn't happen like you want it and you don't make it a second time. I have been there too. Right now, you are thinking that not making the team is all you will be known for and that your friends will leave you in the dust.

None of this is true. You will not be labeled as "that girl who didn't make it" as long as you don't label yourself as that. I know you don't want to hear this, but maybe, this is for the best. You might discover a passion for a new sport or hobby that completely takes over what you felt for cheerleading. Try new things, you will never know what could become of it. I found my true passion in another sport, and later on, I would have to decide between it and cheerleading. I am not so sure I would have picked cheerleading, even though back in middle school, cheerleading was all I dreamed about.

If your friends are actually your friends, not making the team is not going to end your friendship. I realized that I had the greatest friends in the world when I didn't make it. They were there for me and never made me feel like second best because they were on the team and I wasn't. True friends support you through good and bad times. If your friends love you, it won't matter what team you did or didn't make.

I am not saying it will not be hard as you watch the team get their uniforms and wear them to school. It won't be easy when you see them go on to compete in championships or cheer at every single game you attend. Don't let not making the team define you. Don't let someone making the team cause you to hate them. Be happy for your friends, despite how much it hurts. If they could, they would put you on the team in second. Don't hate the coaches either, they did what they thought was best.

If you seriously could not imagine your life without cheerleading, figure out a way to be involved with it. Ask the coach what you can work on or if she needs a manager for the team. If you truly love it, being a part of it in some way should make you happy. Try coaching a younger team, I promise you it is just as rewarding as being on a team. Coaching a team is one of my favorite accomplishments.

I know it hurts now, but trust me, it will get better. The pain of watching the team cheer at a game will eventually disappear. You will find your place and what makes you happy. Do not give up. You are worthy and you are great, you just have to find what makes you feel this way.