To The Girl I Used To Call My Best Friend

I never knew that moving 15 minutes away would change everything.

17
Sheen Murphy

When I got the idea to write this, I didn’t know if I should because I knew some of it would be hard for me to write and you to read, but I finally decided it was time to write it.

I don’t remember how we became friends, all I remember is being with you almost every day as kids. I remember playing that cashier game, and school and house. I remember baking food with you a lot. I remember all the good and bad times we shared.

We never really got into any arguments. I think that’s the reason we were always together.

You were basically the sister I never thought I’d have. My parents loved you as much as they loved their own children, especially my dad. He always loved to pick on us, it was always fun. I am so thankful that your mom treated me as her own. And your brother, I loved them both so much!

I remember the day my parents told me I was moving. At the time, I never thought 15 minutes would change everything. I thought we’d be able to call each other best friends forever, but when I moved everything changed. You started hanging out more with your other friends, and I started making new ones.

I wanted to thank you for being my first real best friend. Without you, I wouldn’t be the same person I am today. We now both just have different friends and different priorities. I will always love you as a sister, no matter what.

I remember the day I was told my dad passed away and I was sitting in the driveway and you, your mom, and brother all walked up to me. At that moment, I felt empty, like I had lost my everything, but when you all came, it made me feel happy. I remember looking into your brother's eyes and they were so red from crying. I never knew how my dad’s death affected you. I never knew if it had made you feel sad or angry.

It hurts that I can’t call you my best friend anymore. It hurts that we barely talk or hang out anymore. Sometimes I wish we could go back to the days as kids, just so we would be that close again.

I will always be thankful for the joy and happiness that you made me feel in my life. I will always be thankful for the encouragement you give me. I will always be thankful for the memories we shared in the past and the few we have now.

I don’t know how you'll feel when you read this, but I hope some part of you is happy as you look back on all the great times we shared. Please don’t be sad that we aren’t as close. It’s neither of our faults. Just the timing isn’t right, and maybe in the future, we can continue what we shared as kids, but until then… thank you for everything and I love you with all my heart and always remember I will always be there for you and be by your side no matter the situation. Love you!

Love, the girl who you used to call your best friend