To The Generation Terrified Of Commitment

“Be brave. Take risks. Nothing can substitute experience.” ― Paulo Coelho

975
Ryan Franco

I hate to be one to say it, but I am part of a generation that is afraid of love and commitment. Of course, there are exceptions to every rule, and I know some people who are more than willing to love and take the chances that falling in love require, but I think it's safe to say for the most part that people of my generation are scared to fall in love.

The number of people that I've met that are scared to give commitment a chance is crazy. We would rather "play the field" and hook up with whoever whenever, rather than being committed to one person and falling in love with them. This is something I will never understand.

What I do understand though is that in peoples minds, commitment possibly leads to heartbreak. And in some cases, this is true. Things don't always work with someone like you wish they did and you could end up with a broken heart, but, so what? A broken heart means you tried, you put yourself out there and you were the best version of yourself you can be, and you took that chance. Why would you ever turn that down? Because we're scared of rejection, embarrassment, of being attached to someone, or maybe you're scared of being vulnerable.

In my opinion, nothing can substitute experience and even though it might not sound this way, I have had my heart broken numerous times. I've liked guys and really hoped for a future with them, but often were scared of becoming attached to someone, and committing to them, leaving me to be the one hurting in the end. Despite this though, I would never change a thing about any of these experiences. Each time, I've come out stronger and with a lesson, and often I even learn something new about myself and about what I look for in another person. The only way to make all these things happen is to put yourself out there and give commitment a try.

Don't get me wrong, I have often felt rejected and embarrassed for becoming attached to someone, but I do try my absolute hardest to not let it stop me from going for it regardless. If you genuinely feel something for someone, I think it's time to start taking the chance and stop letting our fear of love and commitment affect what might be a great future with someone.