To The Friends Who Deserve So Much More Than This Article

You desserve the world, but I wrote you an article instead.

12
Photo by Chloe' Shepherd

Friends. Ah what a breath of fresh air.

In Ecclesiastes 4:9-10 it says, two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed. If one person falls, the other can reach out and help. But someone who falls alone is in real trouble.

Last week in church the pastor asked us a question that hit me like a brick wall. “Do you want to know where you are going in life? Look to your right and look to your left because who you surround yourself with is a great depiction of that."

Woah. As I sat in church I thought of the two friends I had sitting beside me and all my other friends that I have the privilege of doing life with. My heart was overjoyed with gratefulness and the reality that I am blessed beyond what I deserve. This got me thinking.

My friends are a unique bunch. That is something I actually value about them the most. Each one brings something different to the table. Their quirks, sass, sensitivity, truthfulness, humor, loyalty, and authenticity are a few of the many qualities I love. Each friend looks at life a little different and all of them make my life brighter by doing so. It is fun going through life together. Watching them grow into who God has created each one to be is my favorite. In Proverbs 27:17 it says "As iron sharpens iron so a friend sharpens a friend." I believe The Lord has blessed me with some of the best sharpeners.

Proverbs 17:17 says, A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for a time of adversity. It is in those times of adversity, hardship, and broken heartedness that my friends have helped piece me back together. When I feel like I amount to nothing, they speak truth over me. They encourage me because that's what friends are for.

We are not meant to live this life alone. It is ok to recieve help and in fact it is needed. Satan tends to twist it and tell us that we must always be the ones with our crap together. We need to pour out and be on call all the time. He tells us we do not have the right to struggle and we most definitely don't deserve help. Although times will come throughout friendships where we are the ones doing the pouring out, we need to realize that we also need poured into. We are human and we do not operate well on empty.

Friendship is goofy. It is loyal, genuine, forgiving and hard work. Friendship is worth it.

Friendship is dancing with me when I get a good grade on a test and telling me life goes on when I epically bomb the next one. Friendship is texting me every 5 seconds when I go on a date and doing a background check on the boy before I go. Friendship is telling each other what's really going on in our lives and accepting the fact that we all have issues. Friendship is praying for me when I'm struggling and leaving a note to let me know they're thinking of me. Friendship is bailing on the cafeteria together so we can go to Chick-Fil-A for the fourth time that week. Friendship is laughing too loud in public and taking pictures everywhere you go. Friendship is refreshing and is a true gift from the Lord.

So friends --

Thank you for the late night pick me ups (literally, thanks for picking me up late and taking me to Sonic). Thank you for the coffee dates and movie nights. The vent sessions, the never ending ice cream, and the Chick-Fil-a outings! Thank you for blowing up my phone and throwing me into 173 different group texts! Thank you for sitting across the table from me and talking about life for hours. Thanks for making life a constant dance party and every car ride a jam sesh. Thank you for loving me even when I do not deserve it. Thank you for laughter and for simply making me smile when I am sad. Thank you for telling me the truth out of love and for encouraging me in my walk. Friends. Thank you for being some of the biggest blessings a girl could ask for. I will never be able to express how much you are truly loved.

Disclaimer: Not all friends are pictured, but y'all are all definitely loved.