To The Friends I Had To Leave Behind

To The Friends I Had To Leave Behind

I wish things went differently.

46
To The Friends I Had To Leave Behind
DeAnna Bribiesca

There are more of you than I'd like to admit, but there are three of you I'd specifically like to talk to.

To the friend I've known since I was in elementary school. I do miss you. Our lives went in two completely different directions after freshman year of high school. It was no one's fault. Life just got in the way, but I do miss you a lot. I hope that you're happy living with your boyfriend and that life is treating you very well. I wish nothing but the absolute best for you and I hope that soon we can reconnect.

To the friend that was there when I was going through heartbreak. I'll always appreciate you for being there for me when I was miserable and lost. What happened after that, though, is a completely different story. So much backstabbing, lying and drama that came from being friends with you. I wish I could say that I miss you, but that would be a lie. I learned that not everyone had my best interest at heart from being your friend. I learned that the only people that were looking out for me were me and my family. Thank you for teaching me that. I do hope that life is treating you well and that you've become one of the greatest friends someone could have. I'm sorry that we'll never be like that.

To the friend that was supposed to be there for me until the very end. Needless to say, that didn't happen. Something went south along the way. I tried to grow and better myself as a person and you had a problem with that. I never understood that our friendship was all about you until our last fight. When you blamed me for not talking to you and working on my friendships with other people. I am sorry for not making more time for you, but I am not sorry that the reason I didn't was because I was bettering myself. I hope you understand I never meant to be rude. I just got busy.

If people are not helping you become a better person, then you do not need them in your life. If someone isn't cheering you on as you're trying to better yourself, then you need to let them go. Never change who you are as a person to make someone else happy. When you do that, you are only hurting yourself. I will always believe that people in our life come and go for reasons. If you look closely and pay attention, you'll see that everyone who left taught you a valuable lesson. No matter big or small, a lesson is a lesson.