To The Customer On Black Friday

To The Customer On Black Friday

An open letter to customers on the busiest day in a retail worker's life.

16
To The Customer On Black Friday
Boston Magazine

I understand that you want to get the most bang out of your buck for Christmas presents now, but please be patient with me.

At my hometown mall, frankly there aren't many stores in the one-floor shopping center. Where I work, American Eagle Outfitters, it is the by far one of, if the not the most popular store there. As Black Friday approaches, I'm starting to feel a sense of dread of having to clock in for my shift that day.

During the back to school season, the line for dressing rooms as well as the check out lines were constant. Clothes would be in piles around the store due to customers trying to find their size, and they would not clean up their mess. The dressing rooms were constantly filled with clothes that customers didn't want to buy and over half of the time, the clothing would be inside out. I already know that this is going to occur again, but I won't be surprised if it is at a much worse scale this time around.

Due to the fact that I haven't worked here since August because of me going back to college out-of-state, I am worried to go back to work at this busy time of year, since it is my first time working on Black Friday. What if I can't find a parking spot? What if I can't remember how to clock into the system? What if I catch someone stealing? What if I forget how to start a transaction? What if I forget how to make a return? What if a customer yells at me?

With all of these concerns racing through my mind, I can't help but be thankful for the other employees that I work with. I am fortunate to get to work with a group of people that make me feel welcome every day, not many people get to say that. They're what is going to keep me sane this week.

I understand that you and your family are bored sitting around the house after your turkey dinner and you want to go out to the mall, but just know that I am giving up that time to spend with my own family. I don't have the luxury of being bored. I have to work not only Thanksgiving night, but all day on Black Friday. I am not only giving up time with my family to be here for you, but I am also giving up my time on my Thanksgiving break. This is not ideal for me obviously, but it has to be done.

Before you yell at me for not having a specific style of shorts anymore for your son, yes, this has happened to me before, just know that I am giving up time to spend with my family and friends that I haven't seen in months in order for you to be with yours.