You can define college, but do not let college define you.
Life Stages

To the​ College Freshmen

College is more than you have heard and you think. College can be the beginning of a bright future or the beginning of your confusion.

25
To the​ College Freshmen

"Four years ago, I graduated High School, and I was excited to start working on a degree toward my career. I remember my dad was more frustrated than I was because he was afraid I would not survive college especially living on campus. Thankfully, I spent two years home while I was in the Pre-Med program and after two years, I realized the medical field was not where I wanted to be, so I changed to business for a year and felt the same way. That was when I realized how I have been pushing my potential field away. I applied for the Political Science program with a major in Legal Studies, and since then, the college has been significant to me. This does not summarize my point about college.

As a junior student living on-campus, I want to advise you to start college with an open mind and do not be afraid of switching major if you do not feel comfortable with your current one, however, DO NOT change major because your best friend or family member tell you so. You will be the one working on this 100% regardless of the time or situation. Without taking too much of your time, let me pinpoint what I mean exactly when I say " College is more than you have heard or you may think. College can be the beginning of a bright future or the beginning of your confusion".

A percentage of the college students tend to misuse the opportunity of going to college especially when they go away from their parents to live on campus. Your respect for your parents should not be only when they are around, but it should also be while they are away. The parents or student loans are paying the average percentage of college students' tuitions, so imagine sending your child to college while making all those sacrifices and they seem not to be mindful of the consequences of not focusing on your school. Many college students are exploiting college campuses to do the opposite of what their parents would value from them. Don't get me wrong, you can go out and enjoy, but stay positive and be mindful of the consequences.

Additionally, being away from home does not give you the opportunity to do the things you were forbidden to do around your parents. Regardless of how far you go and how old you become, your parents' norms and values should always remain with you because they will help you for the rest of your life and you will pass it on. My advice to you is to put your classes first and your party and fun times last because you will have time to party even better in the future once you have your career and you choose wisely. ALWAYS value your education and watch your parents happier than you are at your graduation ceremony.

Finally, I wish you good luck with your new steps and start college with an open mind.