To The Retail Boss Who Thinks That I Am Their Peasant

Newsflash: I'm not

28

Dear Boss,

I know that when I got hired here that we were told that you are our boss. I completely get that and respect that, however, I want to let you know that I have a soul too. We are all stuck here at some really nasty hours, whether it be early in the morning or late at night. In addition, it also means not having our weekends on Saturday and Sunday. But we all knew this going into our jobs because it is retail. We are here to help people when they are out of their work day. I know that we all become very frustrated with our job and say many times that we want to quit. But I want to let you in on one little teeny tiny thing that was not in that cute contract that I signed when I first began; I AM NOT YOUR PEASANT.

I really hate it when you get in your angry days because you take it out on all of us. You don't treat us in the most respectful ways and we are afraid to speak up for ourselves because you have the power to fire us, even if we do not do anything wrong. The big wigs will believe you over me if you send a report on how I might have supposedly disrespected authority. I don't know about you, but I need the money that I get from this job to pay those cute little bills that get sent to me in the mail.

Another thing I really hate that you do is pushing off the tasks that you feel are beneath your pay grade. I feel that you don't know how much I am already doing with all of the required tasks for my position and then doing a quarter of your tasks on top of mine. That puts a lot of stress on me and I hate to break it to you, I am already only getting paid twenty-five cents above minimum wage to begin with. If you realistically want me to do a quarter of your tasks on top of mine, please give me more hours and a raise and maybe a nicer title than sales associate I would genuinely consider it because let's face it: this is above my paygrade and I should have more training.

One last complaint that I have about you is when you have some nasty stuff happening in your own personal life, you wreak havoc even worse than when you're just having a bad day. I know that we are all human (maybe zombies at this point) and we have bad situations that we are stuck in, but you should really start leaving your personal life at that door before you come in. Maybe if you treated me more like your equal and we had a friendly working relationship I would consider hearing you go on about whatever is happening in your personal life because I am a good human being like that. I would also be willing to give you some advice if you asked for it to help you get through your situation at hand.

But here is the big news flash that I would love to say to you; We are all in this together. And if I had enough energy I would totally rehearse that one scene from High School Musical with all of our coworkers so you might feel happy and bust out laughing. I am willing to be your friend though if you want to be mine and treat me like it too at work. I bet we could have some pretty fun shifts together and it would make this whole situation a little better for the both of us.

So next time you want to put all of your tasks on me, just remember that I am not your peasant. I just work for the same company as you and we are all small little ants and that's all we are to the nice millionaires that are deciding what to do with their company and what new house they want to buy or maybe even an island.

Sincerely,

Not Your Peseant