To Someone I Used To Know: No Hard Feelings

The past is the past, I genuinely hope you're out there somewhere doing well and wishing me the same.

2255
elephantjournal.com

I see so many people wish the worst for people in their past, but the reality of it is not everything is meant to work out. Sometimes you get hurt. Sometimes you hurt others. It's one of the many cycles of life. But with maturity and life experience comes the ability to wish someone the best even after they hurt you, are no longer in your life, and serve no possible benefit to you. It takes time to find peace and understanding with someone who hurt you, but I hope my thoughts and words on the matter may help give you some peace with your own story.

To someone I used to know,

I hope you find someone who laughs with you when you bite your lip eating on the first date.

I hope you find someone who never lets you win monopoly without a run for your money.

I hope you find someone who always makes you fudge when you're trying to lose weight.

I hope you find someone who doesn't fall asleep during your favorite war movies.

I hope you find someone who doesn't mind sitting on the floor, because you're too picky to choose a couch you like.

I hope you hit all the green lights on Virginia Beach Blvd when you're running late to work the third time this week.

I hope you get to scuba dive the Great Barrier Reef before it dies.

I hope the Buccaneers have a better season.

I hope your dad gives you more days than the doctor gave him.

I hope you call when you need a friend, regardless of the past. . .

They say if you truly care about someone you will want the best for their life, even if it's not you

I hope your life genuinely is better without me and you never wonder if you made the right choice

I may never know if mine is better without you, but for my sanity's sake, I'm forced to think so

I guess what I'm trying to say is our lives go on, so I might as well wish you the best and pray to God you're out there somewhere doing well and wishing the same for me.

Love,

A stranger from your past

It took me a while to accept that it's ok to look back and cherish memories with someone, but still realize you weren't supposed to create any future memories with that person. They served their purpose in your life and you can't be mad at that. They taught you a lesson and moved on, as do you to others. Be grateful for the memories and lessons they left you with, forgive, and keep moving forward.

Reminiscing should always be done by glimpsing back over your shoulder, never by fully turning around and going back. So I hope you wish them the best, but have the strength to know you're better off too. Whoever you are or whatever role you played in my life, I promise you I will always be wishing you the best.

My mom always says you can always use a friend, but you can never use an enemy. No matter what has happened between us, if anyone from my past calls me, I would answer. I just hope they feel the same.