An Open Letter To The People Who've Shaped Me

Without you, I wouldn't be me.

191
Jaden O'Berry

To The People Who've Shaped Me,

I've never written a love letter before.

There is a specific vulnerability in writing a letter in general to someone, a type of sacredness in your words. I couldn't imagine using my words to put myself in that position. Maybe it is just the way I was brought up, that your words mean something, regardless of who hears it or who it was meant for.

Maybe that's why I write. The way that I choose what is to be put onto a page is a freedom that isn't normally thought about.

Maybe that's why when I wrote this letter, it felt so odd to put it out into the open.

But then again, why should vulnerability be a bad thing?

The people that fall into the category of who "shaped me" is a fairly large group: family, friends, roommates, ex-boyfriends, ex-friends, teachers, professors, classmates, colleagues, mentors, heck even my pets fall into this category as well.

They are who was around, who wasn't around, who loved me, who didn't - all actions and contradictions of those actions, because all the things that were done and all the things that weren't resulted in who I am now.

I was told by a good friend once that "you can lead a successful life, but all the things that brought you to that success are what matters, because without them, you wouldn't have it to begin with." Which is something I still firmly believe to this day.

To the people who've shaped me - I can't say that I've always liked who I am, there are times I still don't. But without the force you inflicted upon my life, I wouldn't be where I am now.

My parents have guided me since I was a baby, leading me to making the right choices for myself. With their open hearts and minds, they've driven me to be the best version of myself that I can be.

My friends and roommates have cheered me on, held my hand when I needed support, and lent me their shoulders when the tears just couldn't hold themselves back any longer.

My family's passion and love for one another constantly reminded me that when all else fails, family doesn't.

My ex friends and relationships showed me that I deserve more for myself, and I deserve to feel a never-ending type of love, one that doesn't feel forced or can be easily swayed.

My educators have taught me that the world is so much grander than I thought, but I can still paint the skies with my ideas and passions.

College has opened my eyes to many things, but the ability to change myself and the world around me is the number one thing I have seen take shape.

This isn't a love letter.

Like I said, I don't think I could really write that with complete sincerity in fear of my words not being accepted. Think of this as a thank you note, a heartfelt expression of gratitude. In all honesty, I believe the way my life is steering itself is in a positive direction, and I can't wait to see what comes next.

Sincerely,

Me.