To The Dog Who Found Us

To The Dog Who Found Us

For her old age, she was vibrant and enjoyed her new life with us...

2
To The Dog Who Found Us
Amy Irons

This is a story about my very first dog, a dog we didn't rescue or breed or buy, but a dog who instead found us, and changed my life forever.

It was the summer before high school, and my brother and I were outside doing yard work. As we were watering the plants, we realized that there was a dog in our neighbor's yard next door to ours. It was just standing there, watching us. When it saw us look up, the dog motioned towards us. My brother and I were afraid because we didn't know whose dog it was, or if the dog was friendly. But we approached the dog and quickly realized how friendly it was. It wagged it's tail and even lay down for us to rub its tummy. So, we played with it for a little bit before figuring out what to do with it.

We didn't know our neighbors too well on the other side of our next door neighbors, so we assumed that it was theirs. My brother and I walked it over to their house, only to find nobody there, and an open door that the dog must have escaped from. Our next door neighbors weren't home either, so we called them and asked them for help. They told us the name of the dog and gave us the number for it's owner, so that they knew we had it.

Her name was Duchess, and she was a very old dog. The heat and her age exhausted her, so we gave her some water and played with her in the shade. That day was particularly hot, and it even started thundering, causing us to bring the dog inside and keep her calm from the thunderous crashes. My family had never had a dog, despite the begging and persuading my brother and I pulled as kids. This is the kind of dog we had always wanted. She was a beagle german shepherd mix, and you could tell when she was excited, because she would wag her tail and smile at us, despite her tired and aged eyes.

We eventually brought the dog back to her home with the permission of her owners and listened to her howl as we walked back home. In that one day, we grew attached to that dear dog, wondering if we'd ever see her again. About two weeks later, we did see her again when our neighbors brought her over and asked us the question we'd never think would happen. "Will you take her?" They asked. They were moving, and didn't want to take their elderly dog across the country with them, worried she wouldn't make the trip. It was a dream come true for James and I, because this was our very first pet. My mother accepted, because she knew the old dog needed a home, and knew how much she meant to us. In August of 2012, James and I became first time dog owners.

Duchess was a very happy dog. We would try to take her for walks, but what she enjoyed most was laying in the grass and watching the world around her. She valued peace and her treats. She was so sweet and loving, and it was very easy to spoil her with her treats, baths, and her monthly hamburger. Duchess became family very quickly, and we took her everywhere we went. She especially loved rides in the car, and loved being held and patted on the head. And she even surprised us sometimes when she barked at other dogs walking down the street. For her old age, she was vibrant and enjoyed her new life with us.

It was about a year after we got her that she began to slow down. Her limping increased, as well as her trips to the Vet. It was in November of that year that her doctor confirmed what we knew was true. She was diagnosed with bone cancer. Her tumor on her leg continued to grow, so we would have to carry her outside every time she needed to go to the bathroom. She also started to lose consciousness, often bumping into walls and falling down trying to walk. We knew she didn't have much time, and it made us sad knowing that she was in pain. But one thing never changed, however. She was always happy to see us whenever we returned back home. She knew that we were her family, and that we loved her.

Then there was that one day in January when I got home from school and found her laying peacefully, just like the way she always did. Except this time, she didn't wake up and her tail didn't thump against the carpet, excited to see me. Sorrow washed over me, because my beloved dog was gone, and I wasn't there for her when she passed. She was all alone.

But she was finally at peace. She was no longer sick, and she was finally able to rest her tired eyes. My dog was gone, but her spirit lives with us, because it was her who found us. It was her who walked into our yard that day, and it was her family who let her be ours. She came into our lives unexpectedly, and I am forever grateful that we had the privilege to know her, even if we only had her for a year and a half. Duchess was so special, and I will never forget the happiness she gave our family.

To my beautiful dog, sitting under the shade somewhere, watching the world around her.