A Letter To My Spanish Parents

To My Spanish Parents

For making me feel like your own daughter.

206
To My Spanish Parents
Julia Hart

Queridos Marina and Carlos,

Thank you for the five months that you have taken my roommate and me in and treated us as your own children. You have welcomed at least 100 students into your home in the past 15 years and I can't imagine having the selflessness that you do.

Thank you for your patience while waiting for me to translate my English thoughts to Spanish words. Especially at the beginning, when I struggled to pick up phrases. I appreciate you taking the time out of your day to help me improve my Spanish skills, though there are obviously others things you would rather be doing. Thank you for offering us a class to help and asking us each night at dinner if there is anything you can help with.

Thank you for acting like family. Every Sunday lunch you have with your grandkids we have been invited to. You invited our families over when they visited for Thanksgiving. You invited us to family birthday celebrations and to meet your newest grandchild. You write "love, your Spanish dad" on the notes you leave us. We have felt your motherly and fatherly nature in every interaction.

Thank you for your constant support. When I came down with food poisoning, you called the program to let them know I would miss my exam. When I studied for fourteen hours one day for my final, you told me to go to sleep because you knew I would be okay. When you traveled for a week, you had a family member stay with us to cook meals.

Thank you for the amazing food. The homemade pasta and pizza, the milanese, the croquettas. We have been spoiled with your delicious cooking all semester, though you have it in your head that we don't like it because we can't finish as much as you'd like us to.

Thank you for not getting upset with us. There are days when I don't have a chance to make my bed because I slept in too much before class. There are times when I forget to bring my laundry in from the outside drying rack.

A huge thank you for all that you do to make this semester the best time of our lives. Not just for me, but for the 100 students you have opened your doors to. Thank you, thank you. I have you two to thank for all the wonderful things that have happened during these quick five months.

Con mucho amor, tu hija americana,

Julia