To My Sister The First Time Your Heart Breaks

Everyone will experience a heart break someday, it is apart of life and it helps us grow, but believe me when I say that if I could break my heart so you did not have to feel yours break, I would.

49

Sister,

I pray that you will never feel your heartbreak. I pray you never lie in bed at night and cry yourself to sleep. I pray nobody ever makes you feel like you are not enough. I pray that you never feel unworthy of someone. I pray, but because this is life and you are the sensitive and thoughtful creature you are, I know that one day you will indeed feel your heart break.

From the day you were born, even as a child, I felt it was my responsibility to protect you. I sang you to sleep when the monsters under your bed were too loud, I was a voice of reason when you thought Mom and Dad weren't on your side (one day you will realize that they were always on your side), and I even saved you from a few fashion catastrophes (denim on denim is never okay), however, unfortunately, I cannot shield you from this. Everyone will experience a heart break someday, it is a part of life and it helps us grow, but believe me when I say that if I could break my heart so you did not have to feel yours, I would.

When you do feel like your heart is about to beat out of your chest and all you know how to do is cry, know this as well:

You are so loved. You are a daughter of God. He took the time to perfectly craft you into the beautiful, smart, kind child that you are and because of this you are worthy. You are worthy of all the happiness and love in the world. You are enough. One person, a million people, cannot tell you that you are not enough because your Father says you are enough! I, your sister, who loves you more than anything in the world, says you are enough.

God has a plan for each and every one of us and when someone walks out of your life, trust that He opened the door for them for a reason, there is always a reason.

Know that no matter what you will always be my baby girl and I will always be your big sister. So please... call me at two in the morning. Wake me up instead of crying alone. I will never judge you, I will never think your problems are too small, and I will always try to hide you from the monsters under your bed.