To My Little Sister I Left At Home

To My Little Sister I Left At Home

I miss you more than you can imagine.

42
To My Little Sister I Left At Home
Montana Hart

I thought the hardest part of going to college would be adjusting to living in a small dorm room with a stranger or learning how to handle the load of college classes. I was so wrong. The hardest thing about going to college was leaving you behind. Growing up, we didn’t always get along. You knew how to push my buttons and get under my skin. I was older so I was always held to a higher standard of being a good big sister and to not pick on you. Yet somehow, you got away with everything. I hated you for wearing my clothes without asking, for eating the last little bit of ice cream, or for taking all the hot water in the morning.

Being hours away from you really makes me realize everything I miss about our relationship. I miss being able to lay in bed with you and talk about days. I miss being able to go to our favorite coffee shop and talk about boys. I miss the times we would jam in the car to our playlist of sister songs. I find myself more and more wanting to be home just so I can share these special moments with you again.

I know life isn’t fair and it has thrown you curve ball time after time. I needed to be there during those times. I needed to be there to be your shoulder to cry on. I needed to buy you your favorite ice cream and rub your back until you fell asleep. I am sorry I couldn’t be there; it killed me as much as it killed you. I also find myself in situations where I wish I was home so you could comfort me when I feel like the world is against me in every way.

Going to college made me value you so much more than I ever thought possible. You are such an incredible young woman and I cannot wait to see how far you go in life. You have such a spark in you; never let anyone dull it. I may be the older sister but you are the one I look up to. I couldn’t be any prouder to call you my best friend. Ps: I’m counting down the days until I am finally home taking on the world with my second half.