A Letter To My Goddaughter

A Letter To My Goddaughter

Knowing I get to help guide you in your faith throughout your life is the greatest blessing.

374
A Letter To My Goddaughter
Gina Capone

You may not know this yet, but watching you grow up during the last three years has brought so much joy into my life.

At first, I know I was one of your least favorite people. You knew that me coming over to babysit meant that Mommy and Daddy were going bye-bye. Trust me, I knew how upset you were, but I didn't take it personally.

I tried really hard to make you love me the way I loved you. I wanted you to want me to hold you when you cried or make you laugh. It took years of trying when I realized you didn't need me to try.

You just needed to learn how to trust. To love. To be free. To be a vibrant little three-year-old princess.

Now, you light up every room. You make everyone speechless with your incredible cuteness and curiosity. To be honest, I'm a little worried because, if you're already this much of a handful, we're in for some trouble. But we wouldn't want it any other way, and knowing I get to help guide you in your faith throughout your life is the greatest blessing.

I'm not sure if you'll ever realize how much you running up to me and giving me the biggest hug makes me feel like I have a purpose. You and your sisters are the cutest little angels that I am so proud to have as my cousins.

Things may seem like rainbows and butterflies as you dance around in the "Elsa" dress I got you for your birthday, but one day, you will be dancing around in your prom dress. That may be the best year of your life or one of the hardest. You may fall for a boy, or you may even get your heart broken. But I want you to know that you will always have me.

Right now, the world is your oyster. You may continue to dance until you're 18, or you may quit when you're seven to take up basketball. But I will be there if you need a ride, someone to help you practice, or remind you that you can do anything you set your mind to. Never feel like you aren't "good enough", "smart enough", or "brave enough" to do the things that set your heart on fire.

As long as you got me, I promise to have your back through it all. You may be about 19 years younger than me, but I know, one day, we will be the best of friends. When you're 21, kicking college in the butt, I'll be there to give you advice and share all my stories with you.

Right now, you may think Pre-K is amazing, but college may be able to top it. It has twists and turns, but it truly makes you into the person you're meant to be. You will learn so much about yourself, more than you ever could imagine.

I hope to God you trust me, as much as you do now, then. I want to help you believe that this world is still a genuine place, even when it feels so dark and gray. I want you to make mistakes. A lot of them. I want you to know that it's okay to not be okay sometimes, and that's perfectly fine to cry it all out.

When you feel like no one understands what you're going through, know I'm someone you can confide, just like how your dad, my Godfather, is for me.

My Godmother was one of the most special people in my life. I can only hope to be half the Godmother she was to me, to you.

I love you, always.

Love, your G. xo.