A Letter To My Hometown

A Letter To My Hometown

I can't pretend to hate you.

15
A Letter To My Hometown
Elizabeth Bromley

To my hometown,

Thank you.

Thank you for giving me everything you could offer. After 18 years of living in the same house on the same street, I've learned a lot from the little bubble that you are.

Even though I rarely admit it, finding my home in you was one of the greatest things that ever happened to me. If I didn't have you, I wouldn't be who I am today. Sure, every moment of my entire life has ultimately shaped who I've become, but you have always been a big part of who I am.

It's really easy to hate the town you grew up in. It's too this, it's too that, I would've been happier there. I don't think I went a day in high school without hearing how much people hated you sometimes. From being too small, too conservative, and too lame, people always found something to complain about. However, I don't want to play the victim in this narrative.

Don't get me wrong, I can complain, too. I'm not going to pretend that everything was sunshine and rainbows for 18 years, but I choose to remember growing up, in every sense of the word, growing up.

From the high highs to the low lows, without the times I felt down, I wouldn't be able to appreciate the times I was happiest to the extent that I do. I haven't forgotten the times I've felt stuck, out of place, or wished I was somewhere else, but I wish that I had recognized that you are sometimes exactly where you need to be.

I can't pretend that I loved even half of the moment I spent with you, but you have given me more than I can thank you for. In my years, I've heard a lot of people say awful things about you. I can own up to my negative comments, but I can't pretend to hate you. After all that you've offered me, I could never hate you. You've given me everything I have and you helped me shape the person I am today. Without you, I would've never gotten to where I am now.

Though I would have never realized the happiness I was missing until I moved on, I will always be grateful for all the opportunities you gave me.

Thank you.