To My Friends Who Voted Trump: You're Right, We Do Need to Unite

No - I don't think you're a racist.

27
Marco Di Lauro

To my friends who voted for Donald Trump:

Let me start with this - I do not hate you. I'm not writing you to alienate you, or question your character. Still, I ask that you read what I have to say in it's entirety, because if you want us to "come together and unite," you're going to have to hear me out.

I need to be clear: I disagree with what you did on November 8th. I think you prioritized your conservative fiscal policies over social justice. I disagree with this choice. I think you chose to not trust a career-politician because of media hype. I understand your perspective, but I disagree with this choice. I think you saw a self-imploding system, and chose to vote for radical change. I empathize with your frustration, but I disagree with this choice. And though I may disagree with your choices - I don't think you are a racist, or a bigot. I don't think you're sexist, hateful or close-minded. I know why you voted for him - I just don't agree.

And that's okay because we live in a country where we're allowed to disagree with each other, and remain friends. So today, I'm not writing you to analyze your choice to vote for Donald Trump. I am writing to ask you for a favor: stand with me in holding our president-elect and his administration accountable for their actions, specifically when they threaten the core structure that has allowed America to survive, the one that has made it the longest standing democracy of the modern world. Stand with me when the actions of so few, threaten the survival of so many. And believe it or not, this includes you.

Let's forget about tax code and abortion. Let's forget about immigration policy, healthcare, and guns. Let's put aside our partisan differences (and a large number of incredibly relevant issues we likely will never agree on) and look at the bigger picture. What do the next four years look like?

They look like Rex Tillerson, CEO of ExxonMobil, BFF of Vladimir Putin (and recipient of the Russian order of friendship), and our next Secretary of State.

They look like Rick Perry, former governor of Texas, board member at Energy Transfer Partners (sound familiar? hint: Dakota Access Pipeline), and our next Energy Secretary.

They look like Andrew Puzder - CEO of CKE Restaurants (that owns Carl's Jr. and Hardee's), an advocate against mandated minimum wage, and future Labor Secretary.

They look like Linda McMahon, former CEO of WWE, and our next head of the Small Business Administration.

They look like Scott Pruitt, Oklahoma Attorney General, aggressive climate change denier, and a man whose campaigns have been almost exclusively funded by oil and fossil fuel energy companies. Pruitt is nominated to become our next EPA Administrator.

They look like Steven Mnuchin, 17-year Goldman Sach's alumnus, chairman and CEO of OneWestBank (now CIT), a man who holds massive responsibility for the 2008 recession, and the future Treasury Secretary.

Shall I continue, or has the irony become palpable yet? While Trump drains the swamp, he's filling it with corporate billionaires, corrupt bankers, and ruthless tyrants. And what, might you ask, did he find at the bottom? Oil, lots and lots of oil.

(For a full list of administration appointees, nominees, and overlords: click here).

Get to know these faces. Memorize them. They will spend the next four years deconstructing even the most bipartisan progress this country has made.

And if you think the new tycoons on Capitol Hill have any of your best interests in heart - you're being naively optimistic. The people who have dedicated their entire lives to a thriving corporate reign have no intention of turning their backs on it now. Truthfully, they've always run the country. But before - they were checked every so often by government. Now they are the government. They get to jump the fence that kept them in line (...maybe we should build a wall).

They need Russia's business. They owe Putin favors. So when your children are drafted to fight Putin's war - I won't enjoy saying I told you so. Nobody should have to bury their child.

They're there to help their friends. So when your small business doesn't reap the benefits of the promised tax cuts, and instead is outcompeted by the big guys who do - I won't relish in knowing I was right. You shouldn't have to lose your livelihood to big corporations.

They don't care about creating jobs in America; it's cheaper abroad. So when your job doesn't come back, and less expensive products continue being imported (do you really think China will just sit back while we implement a tariff and impede their business?)- I'll be there to provide moral support. You shouldn't be left stranded just because of dishonest demagogues.

In the unlikely event we implement that tariff, and China chooses to dump the dollar (following a bitter trade war, only further aggravated by our close ties to Russia) - I'll be there to worry about the future, right beside you. We shouldn't have to face the recession alone, as we really are stronger together (sorry, couldn't resist).

They want their wealthiest donors to be pleased, and have no regard for the middle class: a voucher education system is the most popular option among those donors. So when your children's public schools fail them, because they no longer have the federal funding to sustain quality education (because I don't care what your political stance is - vouchers don't work), and your tax money is paying for the private school down the street that your kids didn't get accepted to - I'll listen while you worry about how they'll get into college.

And remember - I intentionally left out this, this and this because you knew it all, and chose to vote for him anyway.

So when you ultimately realize why everyone was so terrified of Donald Trump, and you see the trail of slime his presidency leaves on your doorstep- I won't "tell you so." Instead, I'll stand with you and unite, just like you wanted all along. Together, we'll work together to maintain this country's infrastructure, economy, and safety (and humanity, dignity, emphasis on free speech, equality, and kindness). Only then will we be able to come together, not as conservatives, liberals, or independents, but as Americans, fighting to protect the core values Trump has denounced.

And to make sure he never, ever, ever, gets re-elected.

Ever.