To My Forever Friend and Favorite Roommate

God gave me the friend I needed when he gave me you.

378
Shaylyn Kelly

To My Forever Friend and Freshman Year Roommate,

I call you my gem to everyone that has ever asked me about you. You bring a light to every room you enter and your laugh is infectious. I met you move-in day, the day that everyone dreads that love their families and not quite ready to leave home. One day that I was incredibly nervous, excited, and dreading all at the same time, you made me feel comfortable. I barely knew you, but I just knew you'd be someone I would be close with.

Little did I know, God gave me the friend I needed when he gave me you as my roommate. From dinner dates, to stuffing our faces with our favorite snack mix, and snuggling up on the couch to watching our favorite movies. I was grateful every moment I got to spend with you when classes were over and I knew I could come home to my best friend waiting with a hug. On good days and bad days we have always had each others backs. You are fiercely loyal and love without limitation. People like you are rare to come by, you are extra special my sweet friend.

No matter what hour of the day our doors are always open for one another. How I knew you were a lifetime friend was you just looking at me and knowing whether I had a good or a really bad day. You would just know if I needed that extra squeeze or a girls night. When it came to you, I could sense the same emotions. Whether it was a vent session or just sitting in silence watching a movie, we were always there for one another. People would often say they loved being in the presence of our friendship simply because it was so genuine and supportive.

Every first year college student I have come across wanted a friendship to blossom with their roommate or roommates. Some have has success like us, and some unfortunately have not. I believe every college student will meet a gem like I did my freshman year. I was lucky enough to find her my first week simply because of fate. I have met so many incredible people through my roommate as well as other clubs I take part in.

My advice for anyone that experiences a poor living situation with a roommate to try to communicate with one another, as well as take time meeting people around campus. Everyone comes into your life for a reason, some chose to stay, and others may chose to leave. College is a time to find yourself, maybe even reinvent yourself. Surround yourself with people who share the same morals and virtues as you. Distance yourself from people that make you feel uncomfortable or pressure you to make decisions you normally wouldn't make. College is a learning experience, don't be too hard on yourself, and enjoy the next four years.

From,

A College Freshman