An Open Letter to My Ex

An Open Letter to My Ex

Now I'm more independent than ever.

664
An Open Letter to My Ex

Remember me? The girl that used to be the center of your world? I'm back, but this is the last time you'll hear from me.

It's hard for me to sit here and type this about you, partly because I know you'll never read it. Heck, maybe you will. But I'll never know.

For a while, we were so good together. A year and a half to be exact. My friends had never seen me smile as much and my parents finally liked a guy I brought home. After 2 Halloweens, 2 Christmases, 2 New Years, 2 Valentine's Days, and a senior prom together, we became two different people.

We both made mistakes. I was in the wrong at times but so were you. We fought through so many rough patches in our relationship I thought we were going to make it.

But we didn't.

It doesn't hurt that we broke up. It doesn't hurt that what could've been will never be. It hurts that you found someone so quickly after we fell apart. Don't get me wrong, it's amazing to see you smile again and make someone happy. It's comforting to know that you aren't by yourself. But it makes me sit here and wonder if I ever meant as much to you as you claimed I did.

I told you everything about me. I told you my secrets, my fears, my ambitions in life. I told you what I love and what I hate. When I was scared, I came to you. I was comfortable in your arms and felt adventurous in the car with you. You were my world. You were my everything. How did you find happiness in someone so quickly after our fallout? I'll never understand it. Did you even love me like you said you did? Did you even see that future you claimed to see? It hurts to question if someone ever loved you the way that he said he did. Maybe this is what Ana felt in Frozen.

The one thing I did learn from our fall out was that I never want to be belittled ever again. I never want to feel trapped. I never want to love someone so much and watch it all far apart. We became so angry at the end of our relationship. It was a rough break up and maybe that's why I'm sitting here writing this today. We weren't very mature. We did things out of spite. We became the people we never wanted to be. Maybe that's why you found a new girl to hold onto at night.

Since our breakup, I've learned how to love myself again. I never feel stupid anymore and I never question my actions. I have learned how to be independent and happy. I have you to thank for that. Maybe that's why I'm so glad you found someone new. I matured in the time I came to college and the 2 months after our breakup. I found myself, and at 19 that feels pretty darn good. I learned what I deserve in life and I hope one day you find that for yourself.

So say "hi" to your mom and dad for me, they were always so caring toward me. I hope you become the best role model for your little sister; she looks up to you so much. As for you, I wish nothing but the best for the guy I fell in love with, the guy that I hope your new girl sees.

I know I'll be okay, but it's not like you would care anyway.

-Your ex girlfriend