To My College Best Friends

To My College Best Friends

Where would I be without you?

37
To My College Best Friends
Kaylee O'Neal

Where would I be if we never crossed paths? Going into college, nobody really has their “people” and even if you are lucky enough to have a select few by your side when you first get to school, consider yourself lucky. I felt lost and alone not really having anyone by my side. The first few weeks I sat in class by myself, wondering if any of my classmates around me would soon become lifetime friends. Fast forward a week or two, and I found my people. You always hear, “College is the best time of your life” and “You find your lifelong friends in college,” but I never believed it until I met the girls I now can’t imagine life without.

Without them, I wouldn’t know who to vent to at 2 a.m. when I’m having boy issues, roommate drama, or when I feel like dropping out of school. They get me through my tough days and make my good ones even better. From spending hours on end at the library with them, to grabbing dinner, or going to the gym, I always look forward to the moments when I’m with them. Whether it’s me not making it to my 8 a.m. and they get the notes for me, or them walking me home after a late night out, I can always count on my girls to be there.

Yeah, we all have our friendships from high school and the people we grew up with are always going to be there, but there's something about the ones you get close with in college that make them lifelong. They make going home for a weekend so hard because you can’t imagine being without them for more than a day. They make coming back to school so much more exciting because you can’t wait to tell them all about your weekend. They’re by your side 25/8 and seem to always know what to say. They don’t judge you for who you are or what you do; they get you. They understand the struggles that you face and they’re right there with you.

Sharing the same major even makes our friendships even more special. We bitch about how nothing on our anatomy exam was what we expected, we spend hours together trying to explain how X correlates with Y, and we buy each other coffee when we can tell the late hours at the library are getting the best of one another. Once you find your group of people, hold them tight. Only few are as lucky as you to find your people that just get you. These are the people you’ll be telling your kids about when trying to teach them a lesson and how Aunt Brooke made the same mistake in college. To my best friends that I met in college, I love you and I wouldn’t know where I’d be without you. Here’s to the memories to come.