To My Best Friend's Ex

To My Best Friend's Ex

A letter to the boy who broke her heart.

9
To My Best Friend's Ex
pixabay

To My Best Friend's Ex,

So you guys broke up. It's none of my business why (even though I already know because well…she's my best friend) and now she's hurt. I could sit and curse you because that would make me feel better but instead I'm going to thank you. Why you ask? Because even though you were a jerk and treated her like crap, you taught her some very valuable lessons. Strength, self-worth, confidence, and so much more.

You taught her how to finally stand up for herself. To never let anyone, including you, bring her down. You taught her that she will be fine without you and that she doesn't need a man to complete her. You taught her to be confident in herself. Not because of how you may or may not have treated her but by allowing her to grow in her strength, which brought on a new sense of being. She can finally be happy. She can finally focus on the positive things in her life without you being there to bring her down. She can be free to do what she wants and say what she wants without constantly having someone nag her. She doesn’t have to worry about if what she says or does will affect you in any way. She can be who she wants to be without having to change who she is to please you. She can finally grow. She can finally use this as a stepping stone to finding herself again. Maybe she was never lost to begin with but maybe she was. No matter what, she can use this heartbreak to grow stronger in every facet of her life. I don’t have to hold her while she cries anymore because of you. I don’t have to listen to her complain to me because of the constant fighting that took place in your relationship (90% of it started by you). She never has to feel bad about herself anymore because you belittled her in some way. She can finally for once, focus on herself instead of constantly having to focus on you. She can finally continue to grow and blossom into an even better person than she already is.

I know she's still hurting and she's still trying to figure why this happened. It might suck now but she'll come to accept and cherish the amount of time that she had with you. She'll come to cherish the happy memories you had together and she'll come to remember how you negatively treated her, that way she knows to never let someone treat her that way again. Soon her heart will begin to mend and the ache will begin to fade away but until then I'll continue to be there for her. I'll continue to hold her while she cries and tell her how amazing she is, how strong she is, how she's never alone and I'll always be there for her; things that you promised and said but never kept or meant. She can only go up from here. She can only grow stronger and more beautiful. She'll find someone better. Someone who will look at her like she's the light of their life. Her beauty will steal their breath. Her strength will inspire them. Her intelligence will fascinate them and her being will make them want to be a better man.

So thank you for hurting my best friend. I promise she'll be fine without you, even better actually.

Sincerely,

Her Best Friend

P.s.

If I ever see you around, remember this: