To my best friend who helped put myself back together

you didn’t let me do it alone..

29
Sof's Mom

This is much less of the type of “thank you” that you clearly deserve. So let’s start with what I always tell people whenever they first realize we’re friends (best friends to be more specific). When I first met you, the last thing I’d ever think was that we would actually become friends, let alone best friends. I didn’t really know you but you seemed very ditzy and peppy, two words that I would not use now to describe you at all. Our friendship began our senior year of high school, I was talked into trying out for cheer since I didn’t have any other plans of spending this “important” year and that’s where it all began.

Since 2013, you have been my absolute best friend. We’d go from spending every single day and night together to moving you back to San Marcos so you can go back to school for that semester. We even decided around the same time to get kittens! We even have cute little traditions that we do around the end of the year, we always have time to go exploring and even for you to take me out on dates (and vice versa).

So now let’s get to the real reason why I decided to write this article especially for you. Life always has some ups and especially some downs, throughout this friendship I have given you nothing but the truth and I expect the exact same from you. I think this specific foundation has helped us become even closer, I trust you with absolutely everything and I hope you can even say the same about me. You’ve spent countless nights with me as tears stream down my face, you’ve even been there for me whenever I never wanted to get out of bed, let alone get out of my house. You reassured me about so many things throughout the past couple of years, especially whenever I decided to walk away from something that only caused more worse than good. You watched me struggle with this specific decision for some time, day by day as I slowly watched myself starting to believe that I was never good enough. You were there to reassure me that there was absolutely nothing wrong with me, that the need for that certain person to find attention and affection from other women had nothing to do with me. You were there to watch me change certain things about myself, you were there watching your best friend fade away.

Until one day I surprised you, I finally took the giant leap of faith! It might have taken every ounce of courage that I had at that specific time, but I knew that you’d be there to help me find myself again. I knew for a fact that you would have absolutely no problem helping me pick up the metaphorical pieces of myself that shattered whenever I made that impossible decision.

Most importantly, you’ve been here for me through everything. I can always count on you, it doesn’t matter if it’s to come over to watch old Grey’s Anatomy episodes because I’m lonely or sad or even to go out on a fancy date because we haven’t seen each other in a couple of months. Whether it’s something really small or something extremely important I know you’ll hear me out and try to physically be there for me.

I also want everyone to know that she’s not my only best friend and that many of my friends have helped me with things throughout my life, but this specific article it dedicated to you, Sofia. I love you and thank you for being here for me throughout 2016 (probably the hardest year to get through) and all the other years you’ve been here.