To My Best Friend Who Opted Out Of College

I want to take a moment now to say I’m sorry.

10
Devyn Schneider

Dear best friend,

We have been through everything together, from the 5th-grade talent show all the way to graduation, through the fights and the make ups, the good times and the bad. There is barely a time that we weren’t together, we even worked at the same job, so it was no surprise that I was unsure how we’d survive college without each other. Time was going faster and faster, our senior year was going to be over before we knew it. By this point, college applications were being sent out and we were excited for the next chapters of our lives despite the fact that we’d be going separate ways. Once we were accepted to our school we were just ready to enjoy the rest of our senior year.

I remember the day you told me you were deferring your acceptance for a year. You wanted to take at least a year off from school because you weren’t sure if college was meant for you. I know you weren’t happy when I tried to tell you that you needed to go, but I was confused as to why you would think something like that.

I want to take a moment now to say I’m sorry. I was being selfish at the time. We do literally everything together and even though we were going to different schools I still felt like we’d be doing it together. I knew that we could talk about the classes we were having trouble with, the annoying girl that lives across the hall, and the cute boy that lives on the floor below us. Even though we were apart we’d still be going through similar situations and it would almost be like nothing has changed.

You not going to school meant that I was in it on my own and I wasn’t ready for that. So I tried to convince you that you were making a mistake. I didn’t even take a moment to think about you during the whole thing. I realize now I was wrong. You don’t need to go to school to be successful. If you work hard and do the best you can then you don’t need a degree to prove yourself. Yes, it’s a lot easier to make it with a degree, but you never take the easy way. That’s not who you are, you’re a fighter and I know whatever you decide to do with your life that you will succeed at it.

I’ve been in school a little over two months now and since I’ve left you have been working full-time at the restaurant, you have two cars that you’re paying for on your own and you just started renting your first house. To me, it sounds like you’re doing a hundred times better than me and I couldn’t be more proud of you. I love you so much and I can’t wait to see what the future has in store for both of us.

From,

Your best friend who left you back home.