To My Best Friend On His Birthday

To My Best Friend On His Birthday

"You're only 19 but your mind is older"

24
To My Best Friend On His Birthday
Sarah King

There's 7.35 billion people on this world, but I am luckier than all of them as I get to call you my best friend. So for your 19th birthday, I wanted to give you a piece of my own art, my writing, that is completely centered around our friendship. I hope that this makes every person in the world jealous that they don't have a friendship as great as ours. Without any further delay, here are 19 things that I wanted to thank you for (along with my 19 favorite pictures of us).

1. Thank you for staying by me through the bad times.

You play such a huge part in my story whether that be in seventh grade when you were one of the only people I could call a friend or in senior year when I could say the same. (p.s. I will never this picture die, it's here forever)

2. Thank you for valuing my time.

There are so many friendships that were a waste of my time, but yours hasn't been. Every moment has been adventure and I can't tell you how much I appreciate that.

3. Thank you for not acting, judging, or treating me like you know me better than I know myself.

I know myself, and you know that I know myself. Rather than try to tell me what you think is best for me, you support my decisions on what I think is best for me. (Also this picture of you pretending to be a background character is one of my favorites of all time).

4. Thank you for all the little things you do that make a big difference.

Whether it's taking pictures or singing together, all of the small and seemingly insignificant things mean so much to me, and you're always willing to risk embarrassment to do them!

5. Thank you for being unapologetically yourself.

I couldn't be friends with someone who would change themselves for the comfort of someone else. Lucky for me, you are always 100% true to yourself all the time.

6. Thank you for putting up with all of my antics.

You always go with the flow, even when I organized the family photo below where we all dressed up as you. Thanks for having patience as well as a great sense of humor.

7. Thank you for going out of your way for me, even when it’s not convenient.

Like my calls to you when I'm going back to my dorm after I get off from work or dropping me off closer to my hall so that I don't have to walk across campus. I really do appreciate all of these inconveniences you do for me.

8. Thank you for accepting me just the way I am.

While I'm sure I have many annoying characteristics, you've always accepted me how I am and during the times I did change, you accepted the new me also.

9. Thank you for simply enjoying my company.

Referring back to those annoying characteristics, not many people can deal with both the good and bad sides of my personality, but you always find the balance between both.

10. Thank you for making so many ordinary moments extraordinary.

I mean how many other friendships have their own version of checkers called "Jon Snow" that actually has rules and strategies? That's a perfect example of something ordinary becoming extraordinary, but also moments where we're just listening to music or watching YouTube are just extraordinary as our adventures to me, and you're the factor that makes the difference.

11. Thank you for always giving me the extra push I need.

Whether it's to make a hard emotional decision or simply daily support, you're always there when I need motivation to keep going.

12. Thank you for telling me the truth.

Honesty is the only way to keep my trust, and you are always truthful and open. You understand that hiding information or trying to spare my feelings with lies hurts me more than anything else, and so despite how terrible the reality is, you are always honest and that means so so so much to me.

13. Thank you for not getting in the way of the other important parts of my life.

You are a priority in my life but you understand that I have other priorities and sometimes they will come first. However, I understand that the same goes for you as well. So while we can't meet up for white hot chocolates everyday, I know that our friendship is strong and reliable even if we aren't together.

14. Thank you for being passionate about what you do.

I'm constantly pushed to keep up with your curiosity for the world, but you're passion to learn new things and get better at your craft inspires and challenges me to do the same.

15. Thank you for knowing when something is wrong with me.

I hide a lot of emotions away but you always know how I'm feeling, especially if something is wrong. I know I can tell you everything and not fear ridicule or resentment in return.

16. Thank you for knowing that I can’t always be strong

If anyone knows that I'm in fact not completely heartless, it's definitely you. You've seen and heard me cry more than anymore (probably except for my mom of course), and I know that in my weakest moments I can count on you to be there to help.

17. Thank you for being my companion, not my knight in shining armor.

If my life was the books I read, then we would be best friend assassins going to kill a dragon or something. I never want to be the girl who needs a knight to come save her, so I love that instead of solving every problem or obstacle for me, you're always willing to be there right beside me when I save myself.

18. Thank you for encouraging me when I stumble.

While we can take this in the literal sense as I am as graceful as a elephant ballerina, really I want to thank you for all the times you encouraged me, whether it be about past or recent failures.

19. Thank you for (maybe, sort, of a little) loving me and being my friend.

I don't know what I would do without you. Thank you so so so much.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ETHAN!