For My Mom

For My Mom

Because I don't say 'Thank You' as often as I should

22
For My Mom
Jeanne Sager

There are so many things that I want to thank you for. Hell, at this point, I’ve racked up over twenty years of things to thank you for. And although I won't be able to say everything that I truly want to say, I’ll attempt to illustrate just how much you mean to me, in the best way I know how. You guessed it: running my mouth. Look, you don't have to frame this, or even keep it anywhere special, but I do want you to keep this with you. I want you to remember it anytime you need a reminder of how amazing you really are. Whenever you feel like you're not good enough, whenever you feel like you're not doing enough, or maybe when you feel that you're doing too much; I want this to be your pep-talk and your reminder that everything you do, whatever it may be, is perfect. You’ve got imperfections, like everyone else, but you're perfect to me.

You are the strongest, most beautiful woman I know. You are my hero, my guiding light, my role model and my best friend. And I make that known to everyone I know and people that I meet. You help me to better understand the reason behind why things happen, you help guide me in the right direction, and when I lose my way, you are always there to pick me up, back me up, and keep my chin up. I couldn't even begin to tell you how much of an appreciation I've grown for everything that you do.

Honestly, I don’t know how you do everything that you do on a daily basis without having to be institutionalized. For every task I manage to complete, you've done three; every time I am at the end of my rope, you come to my rescue. The little things that you do, that you think go unnoticed – those are the things that I am so grateful for. Whether it’s asking me if I’d like some dinner or texting me to make sure I’m okay, I recognize that, even when you don’t. I know it's cliché to say, but I really, really don't know where I would be without you. Quite frankly, I don't even want to think about where I would be without you. You have literally done your absolute best for me since the day I was born, and for that, I owe you my life.

I've come to realize that I was given my son for one very important reason: to appreciate life. I’m always so focused on what’s going on in my own world that I was beginning to miss out on the best part: family. I never thought that the love for a child could surpass all other feelings in this universe until I held my son. Moreover, I never thought the love from a mother could drive me emotionally, physically and mentally until I held your hand the night we both saw that heartbeat for the first time. I could never imagine my life without you right next to me, and as I grow further into my own life with my own family, I will live with the same confidence and sophistication you gave me from birth.

You don't even notice how thin you stretch yourself to make sure everyone else is taken care of. You never dwell on the things you had to get over or give up in order to be a great mom, you never whine about how much time you don't have to yourself; you're the last person on your list of people that need to be considered and I try so hard to live up to that standard. I know in my heart that no matter what I do, I will never be just like you. And that’s okay. Because how you do the things you do every day will continue to amaze everyone around you – including me. And I don’t think anyone could replicate that.

"Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." -A.A. Milne

Have Fun. Be Fun. Forever.

-Kourtni