A Letter To My Future Self

A Letter To My Future Self

Something I think I might need to hear eventually.

17
A Letter To My Future Self
Kaitlin Gonzales

Hey Katie,

I’m not sure how long it will be before you come back to this but I’m sure it wont be for a while, there are a few things I wanted to say to you really quickly. First and foremost you are incredible, I cannot believe how far we’ve come and we still have so much farther to go but you should know this, I am doing everything I can to keep us on track to get to wherever it is we are going. But just know no matter how our life ended up or where we are at as you’re reading this, you are one of the most amazing people I’ve met and I know we beat our self up sometimes and often we don’t think we are smart enough or good enough but let me tell you that you are so smart and you are good enough.

Secondly you are beautiful, you may not believe it right now, and sometimes its hard for us to see but you are beautiful; not just in the way your freckles are spread across your cheeks or the way your hair falls at your shoulders or in the vast darkness in your eyes but also in the sense that you are funny, and you are intelligent and you are kind. You are worth something, don’t let anyone make you think that you aren’t don’t let yourself feel like you don’t matter in this world because you do you matter so much to so many people, and so many people need you.

I don’t know if you have kids or are married yet but don’t rush it if you aren’t, it will happen sometimes the most important things in life take a lot of time but you will get there and if you are married and have kids don’t feel bad for not taking more of your life for yourself because you always have time after they move out and I’m sure you have made little miracles that are beautiful and funny and the best things that could have happened to you. If you are a mother and a wife give them hugs and kisses for me. Don’t take for granted the days they crawl into your bed either, cuddle them and hold them close because eventually they wont want you to hug them or kiss them.

I know life gets tough sometimes too and you don’t know where to channel that anger but go for a run or do something productive, don’t pick silly fights with your husband or take it out on your babies, do you remember when mom did that to us? Wherever you are at in your life though when you read this I hope you are so happy and I hope you couldn’t imagine a better life and I hope you still try to take care of everyone. Have an amazing day and don’t forget to take days for yourself, your mental health is just as important as everything else.

Love yourself,

2016 Katie