To Everyone I Love As I Leave For College

A quick thank you before I go.

725
YouTube

In just under two weeks, I will be the first of my friends to leave for college. After 18 years of being the “independent child,” I suddenly feel scared of that freedom. I have been independent because I knew my surroundings and I knew my support system; that is all about to change. While I have been fortunate enough to have so many people stand behind me in case I fall, I realize they aren't there to catch me anymore, but rather to watch me go on my own.

To my family,

Thank you for putting up with me for 18 years. I know I have been difficult, but personally I think the end product is pretty fantastic (although I am slightly biased). You have protected me and shaped me into the person I am meant to be. You have taught me how to balance a checkbook, how to swim, how to ride a bike, how to cook a Thanksgiving dinner, and how to avoid doing the dishes afterwards. You have taught me how to sing, how to play pool and darts, how to play football and how to go Black Friday shopping. You have taught me right from wrong and how to love and be kind. Most of all, you have taught me to have courage in who I am. Thank you for the endless hours of comforting me, feeding me and listening to me. Thank you for loving me after I make terrible mistakes and helping right my wrongs. Thank you for always being there when I lose my way and standing next to me as I make my own.

To my teachers,

There are some teachers in your life that stand out, not because they gave you good grades or you liked the way they dressed. They stand out because they can teach valuable lessons inside and outside a classroom. You may not have taught me in 15 years or maybe you taught me this past fall, but regardless of the time frame, you have stuck with me. You may not realize the impact you had on me, but it will last a lifetime. To the teachers that said, “I hope you have a great day,” and really meant it, thank you for being optimistic on even the roughest days. I hope that I will be able to share your sincerity with my new classmates and teachers. To the teachers that gave me second chances and extensions, you are the real MVP; not just because you saved my grades, but because you trusted me and always helped me when I needed it. To the teachers that gave me options, thank you for not making my learning a textbook experience. You have taught me to come up with my own conclusions and become resourceful and innovative when making decisions. Lastly, thank you to the teachers who supported me. You have encouraged me through all of my ups and downs and I hope one day my children will be lucky enough to learn from a teacher like you.

To my counselors (whether you be college, guidance, or anyone who acted as my counselor),

You are the reason I feel ready. I know that no matter where I go to school or how far away I am, you will still be there to listen. Thank you for vouching for me to my college that I am a normal person even after I come to your office and eat a bowl of candy on the floor twice a week. Thank you for listening to my constant ranting and worries about not ending up in the right place. Thank you for easing my fears. Thank you for always having a box of Kleenex. Thank you for helping me through all of my crises no matter how small. Thank you for showing me the way through the drama, both on stage and off. You are the person who was placed into lives for a reason. You show us how to get through the rough patches and how to live in the moments we will remember. Thank you for advice that will last a lifetime.

To my first best friend,

I realize that we are not as close as we used to be but nonetheless I am so thankful for your friendship. You were the first person that taught me how to be a friend, how to share my toys and my food, and how to love someone for who they really are. Thank you for being a person I will always share happy memories with. Thank you for never abandoning me on the playground. Thank you for growing up with me and letting me share in a part of your life. I know you are going to do amazing things and I am always here if you need me.

To my best friends,

You have been there during the toughest moments and during the best. You have shown me what healthy relationships looks like and continue to look out for my best interests. Thank you for your smiles and hugs everyday. Thank you for listening to my bizarre taste in music. Thank you for getting ice cream with me when I need it or taking away my coffee when I’ve had too much. Thank you for eating all of the baked goods I bring you without complaint. Thank you for listening to my constant singing and for singing with me. Thank you for taking the time to listen to me and always telling me what’s on your mind. Thank you for standing up for me and always standing next to me. Thank you for accepting me for who I am. While sometimes we have our falling outs, know that regardless of what happens between us I will always love you and will always support you. Thank you for being my best friends.

Lastly to my parents,

You are my family. You are my teachers. You are my counselors. You have always been my best friends.

Thank you all for being a such an influential part of my life. I realize it is a cliche but, I would not be the person I am today without you in my life. Thank you for watching over me and preparing me for this next step in my life.