I Still Think Horoscope Advice Is Cheap Shot

I Get Astrology Lovers Love The Comfort, But I Still Think Horoscope Advice Is Cheap

I get that people get a sense of comfort from astrology and the zodiac, but I guess I'm just too headstrong to feel it myself…a classic scorpio trait.

103

I've heard the phrase, "Oh, you're a Scorpio…? I better watch out," way too many times to not look into it.

I have always been a skeptical, distrusting person, so things like fortune cookies, birthday wishes, superstitions, and my favorite, horoscopes, have always been a joke to me. I can't lie, I know what the general traits attributed to Scorpios are. However, spending so much time online recently has shown me just how much people actually pay attention to their daily horoscopes.

Maybe they're just looking for a sign in this time of uncertainty, which is fair, but to me, my horoscope is just as uncertain as my future at this point.

I decided that anybody's guess is as good as mine, so I put this whole horoscope thing to the test. I gathered five different daily horoscopes to see if they:

A. sounded similar, and

B. resonated with me in any way.

The first one up suggested that I've been over-eating and over-drinking lately, which might be why I feel off today, but I shouldn't worry! If I calm down for a few days, I'll be able to feel like myself again and use this as a lesson to not overindulge when the opportunity presents itself in the future.

The second was a little more…poetic. I got a kind reminder that I am not a giraffe, but a human, so I need more than half an hour of sleep to get by. Essentially, I need to get more rest and focus on self-care to remind myself what it is like to be at peace.

The third encouraged my Scorpio self to use that intuition and dig deeper to understand something I've been going through. I should also open myself up and let myself be vulnerable, as it might help me clear my mind and focus on something else, like a new goal.

The fourth one suggested being a little more selfish and independent, and give people the truth rather than try to please them, because only being half honest is supposedly weighing down on my conscience.

The last urged me to be there for others and accept the fact that today was just not going to be my day. I apparently need to use my passion to help others who need nurturing.

1. Did they sound similar?

Yes and no. I see this reoccurring theme of self-care and focusing on my well being. However, I'm seeing some conflicting information regarding whether I'm supposed to be focusing on myself or others. Some were head-on about me putting myself first, while others urged that communicating and nurturing was key. As someone who doesn't read their horoscope, I can't tell if this is typical advice or not, but they do seem to revolve around the same subjects.

2. Do they resonate with me?

Umm… I'm doing my best to put my opinion aside and give horoscopes a fair shot, but I have to say it's difficult. I recently went vegan, so I don't really think I've been vegging out lately. While quarantined, I've been spending more hours of the day in bed than out, so I don't really think rest is the problem either.

The third is my favorite because it could apply to anyone. I could seek help on trying to figure out how to deal with such a drastic lifestyle change, but I don't think I'll find any answers. As for being independent and honest, I'm the type to tell it like it is, even if the truth hurts, so that isn't often an issue for me. Lastly, I had a pretty chill day today, while all these horoscopes seem to assume that I'm pressed. All in all, yes, my mind is all over the place, but I don't think I've lost myself entirely…yet.

From what I know about being a Scorpio, this all seems very targeted while still being vague, which I guess is the point. Any given Scorpio is supposed to be able to relate to their horoscope, right? So it has to be vague enough that you could pick something out of your life and apply it. I mean, I did it too.

When I read about having to understand something that's been taking a toll on me, my mind automatically went to being quarantined. A lot of this information also seems like cookie-cutter Scorpio material. One of our most significant traits is our inability to open up to people while still caring deeply for them, so I feel like encouraging us to open up to clear our conscious is a pretty cheap shot.

I think the point is to start your day somewhat knowing what to expect from it, and get a push towards accomplishing something or challenging yourself. I get that people get a sense of comfort from this, but I guess I'm just too headstrong to feel it myself…another Scorpio trait.