Why "To All The Boys" Is Better Than "The Kissing Booth"

This is a response to Gen Z is ready to fall in love, with Romance Films.

After seeing both Netflix rom-com franchises multiple times, it’s hard to deny the similarities in plot points. However, one certainly did a better job.

The first “Kissing Booth” movie had issues that became very obvious after countless rewatch. Elle had way too much pressure put on her for a teenage girl. From being counted on to calm Noah down every time he got angry to constantly being shunned by Lee every time she did something he didn’t agree with; it’s no wonder the poor girl had a meltdown in every movie.

On the other hand, “Too All The Boys” had so many elements in the first movie alone that made it light and heartfelt, instead of emotionally draining. Peter Kavinsky gave us majorly high relationship standards, alongside the adorably relatable Lara Jean Covey. Together, the chemistry between them brought a whole new meaning to couple goals.

It was in the second installments of the trilogies that the plot lines really started to line up. Both revolved around the fan-favorite couples deciding to date for real when other love interests arrive and stir up trouble. The key difference was that although fans were torn between Team Noah and Team Marco for Elle, it was clear the whole time that Jon Ambrose was not right for Lara Jean, Peter was always the one.

“The Kissing Booth 3” is widely considered to be the series’ downfall. Elle’s lying and need to people-please lead her to unnecessarily lash out at poor Marco, and unfortunately caused the end of her relationship with Noah. While Lara Jean also struggled with her future, as soon as she came clean (she didn’t keep the secret for long), Peter was nothing but supportive of her. We knew by the end that they would go the distance.

Elle and Noah were really cute and had potential, if only the underlying issues weren’t glossed over, and if they could’ve communicated better (and if the last movie wasn’t so disappointing). As it is, Lara Jean and Peter’s love story easily beats theirs by a landslide.