To All Of My 'Sisters'

To All Of My 'Sisters'

Related not by blood, but by heart.

13
To All Of My 'Sisters'

When I was little, I really wanted a sister. I love my brothers and wouldn't trade them for anything. Now. Back then, however, you could have had either one, heck I would have given up both of them, if it would get me a sister. I just wanted a little sister that would look up to me or share toys with me. Or maybe an older sister that would share clothes and teach me things. As we got older we could talk about boys and stay up late watching movies in our bedroom. I just wanted someone to talk about things and do things that you just can't talk about and do with brothers.

I never got that sister. I did, however, get a few almost sisters. Some of my cousins and a few of my close friends have had the honor to be called sisters. This is to all those "sisters" that have graced my life.

To the older cousins that I learned from and looked up to. To the younger cousin that was also cursed to live a sister-less life. To the girls that outgrew the title friend.

Thank you.

Thank you for being the closest thing I've ever had to a sister. Thank you for making my biggest dream come true. Thank you for being the kind of friend that I consider family. I did not make you my "sister." Each one of you earned your place in my heart by being there for me, influencing me in ways I never expected and showing me that blood isn't what makes a family.

If I have ever called you my sister, don't take it lightly. Family is important to me and if I make you an honorary part of that family, that means you are truly special to me. You've proven that I am important to you and I hope I've done the same. Family comes first and you are no different.

You are the friends that take me as I am, good and bad. You are the friends that never give up on me, that know who i am and make sure I never forget that. You are the friends I can trust with absolutely anything. You are more than friends. You are my "sisters."

And to anyone I used to call a "sister," you are not forgotten. Like I said, family is important. Family is also forever. It doesn't matter if we haven't talked in weeks or months or even years. You will always have a special place in my heart and nothing will ever change that.

So for the lessons, the adventures, the drama control, the tissues and chocolate, the ranting sessions, the movie nights, the sleepovers that never seem to end, and for so much more, thank you. For loving me through my meltdowns, my highs and lows, my silliest or saddest, thank you. You are family and always will be.

We may not be related by blood, but we will always be "sisters" at heart.