I'm Tired of Being Treated Like Sh*t By Old People

It’s not wrong to stand your ground when someone treats you bad just because they’re older.

132
Jorge Lopez

Let me start off by saying that I am not one of those entitled brats that thinks it is okay to be disrespectful to adults or authority. I always try my hardest to be respectful toward everyone, especially those who possess more wisdom than I do.

However, it seems like the older generation doesn’t care at all about being respectful to those of us who are 20 and not 70. Millenials and younger generations are pointed at constantly for having an attitude and being disrespectful, but I have been faced with some of the pretty vile and degrading words and comments in my life ALL from older people. Working in the service industry and now retail since I was just 15 years old, I’ve learned that older people love to make you feel like you are literally the dirt beneath their shoes. I’ve been cussed at, told I am stupid, had snarky comments made toward me, etc. And I’m just supposed to take it. “Respect your elders,” they say.

But why should I have to respect someone that clearly has no respect for me? I will always remember when an older man got in my face when I was 16 over a waffle cone of frozen yogurt one night at work, saying “you stupid little girls mess up my f*cking order every time!” In retail, it has only gotten worse. I like to think I am somewhat decent at my job. I always try to get the customer a good deal and try to use as many coupons and loopholes as possible to please them. I’ve been told “you just don’t know what you’re doing,” probably a million times. I’ve been pushed almost to the point of tears a few times, especially during the holidays, by older people who insist they know better than you and your corporate policies that you have to follow.

It doesn’t stop at work. This kind of stuff happens literally all the time. My boyfriend’s older neighbor across the street drove straight into my car coming home one night and proceeded to come angrily to the door complaining about my parking spot and how her brand new car was dented. I had been parking my car in that same spot for 3 years, and never once received a complaint. I WASN’T EVEN IN THE CAR! This woman continued to blame me for her stupidity and probable night blindness (my car had been in the same spot since 9 a.m. that day, so she couldn’t have missed it) until my boyfriend’s dad came outside. As soon as an older man was in the picture, this woman seemed like the nicest person you could ever meet.

In all honesty, I am so tired of this kind of thing. I’m tired of being treated like I am ignorant because I’m young. It’s not fair. I will 100% be tolerant and respectful of everyone who crosses my path as long as they return the favor. Why can’t we all just be nice to each other? When I was 15, I would’ve never stood up for myself against anyone older than me, but now I know better. It’s not wrong to stand your ground when someone treats you bad just because they’re older. I’m tired of old people treating me like sh*t when they can’t even see my car parked in plain sight. (And that’s the tea.)