Tips For Conducting Interviews
Career Development

7 Tips To Follow When Conducting An Interview

Being the interviewee is tough, but so is being the interviewer.

11
woman sitting at table being interviewed
Tim Gouw / Unsplash

If you're a journalism major or are looking for some tips for a class interview, below are some tips from yours truly. I myself am a journalism major and have learned some tips that might help you through a first interview.

Always be prepared

This means making a list of at least 10 questions before your interview.

Do your research

Always make sure you know a few facts to ask your interviewee. Not only will it make you look good, but it will spark more questions.

Treat it like a conversation

It's important that you're treating the interview like a conversation and not an interrogation. It'll also make the person you're interviewing feel more comfortable.

Play with your awkwardness

If you're not the best at speaking to people don't be scared to make a little joke. People should be more than understanding. It'll maybe break a little ice between you two as well.

Stay professional at all times

It's fine if you want to be friendly and treat it as a conversation, but also remember, you are the interviewer and have control of this whole interview.

If you aren't good at taking notes, record your interviews

It helps you get direct quotes, and it helps you not make a mistake. Do make sure you're recording and to keep side notes just in case something goes wrong.

Note: Always ask if the person is alright with being recorded at the beginning.

Rehearse ahead of time

If you're scared of messing up, rehearse your questions before.

In the end, it really isn't that bad. I know because I used to be wickedly shy and scared to talk to people I didn't know, but I ended up loving it. The more you do it, the more you get comfortable with interviewing people. Like everything else, you learn new techniques as you continue to do it more. It made me more social and has helped me come a long way from high school. GOOD LUCK!