Tips for Syllabus Week

Tips for Syllabus Week

The first week makes all the difference.

19
Tips for Syllabus Week
Google Images

This week is “Syllabus Week” at John Carroll, meaning the first week of school when you are getting adjusted to your classes, meeting professors and trying to figure out if there are classes you need to drop. Even though this week should be easy, I always find it a little difficult because I need to figure out my weekly routine. Here are some tips to get you ready to dive into the school year:

Don’t Procrastinate

I know the first week doesn’t seem hard or stressful, but do not start off the year on the wrong foot. If you are assigned to read over the syllabus, do it. If your professor tells you to read the first chapter in the book, do it. You have to start the year with a positive and focused mindset in order to succeed when the assignments get harder down the line.

Make One Friend Per Class

This is probably the most helpful tip that I can write about. Having at least one person you can text with questions, do a partner project with, have a study session with or complain about the class with is crucial. It will be so much easier to have a class with someone you feel comfortable around and that you can ask any questions that may seem too stupid to ask your professor. Plus, making one friend per class gives you about six new friends each semester!

Sit In The Front

This sounds really daunting. No one wants to be in the first row because they will be the people who the professor always calls on when no one else wants to speak, but it is such a good way to be held accountable. You can make eye contact with the professor, which will help the professor remember your face and name easier. Even if you do have to speak more often, it will help you to grasp the material better and give you more participation points. Sitting in the front, although terrifying at times, is worth it.

Relax

This is probably the last week for the rest of the semester that you are not drowning in exams, essays, projects and activities, so enjoy it. Go out with your friends, stay in and have a movie night or make some DIYs to spice up your dorm. No matter what activity you choose, just do something relaxing and fun to really soak up these last few stress free days.