4 Tips For Students Trying To Survive Lock Down 3.0

If you're struggling, whether at home with family or in student accommodation alone, this one's for you!

32
Photo by Erik Mclean on Unsplash

Whether you're stuck at home during the latest lock down and enjoying the "downtime," or you're tearing your hair out over poor Wi-Fi connection, the chances are that the Covid-19 restrictions are certainly having an impact.

Perhaps, you've decided to see out lock down in your student accommodation, but chances are, you're isolated or holed up with equally stressed-out students. Either way, it can be a pretty dreary state of affairs if you're not well-equipped to handle the coming weeks and months.

The good news is, we've put together a helpful, actionable guide designed to keep you sane while we all wait for the world to return to some form of normality. So, if you're struggling, whether at home with family or in a student accommodation alone – keep reading.

1. Don't try to perform as you would normally.

We appreciate that your university studies may still be going on during all of this on a remote basis, but that doesn't mean that things are back to normal, and you shouldn't be expected to perform as though they are.

Putting undue pressure on yourself to study and achieve the way you might during a regular term is unhelpful, not to mention unrealistic. So, protect your mental health by accepting that during these weird times, your best is more than good enough.

2. Balance is everything.

With the above point in mind, aiming for a good balance throughout your day is the best approach to ensuring you're not overworking or under working. While so many find the stress of missing face to face lectures causes them to overdo it with studying, many also feel the need to completely bury their head in the sand.

Our advice is to take each day as it comes. Try not to overthink or worry about the week ahead, and instead, set yourself small, manageable goals for each day.

3. Work on releasing some happy hormones.

Endorphins are easy and free and can be made with minimal effort, so why wouldn't you if you can? Go for a walk alone or with your family or flatmates. Or even meet a friend for a socially distanced walk (remember the 6 feet rule though!).

If you're feeling lazy, a 10 minute at home workout is just as effective and can be over as soon as it began, so there's no excuse to not to get your heart rate up, you'll feel incredible for it afterwards!

4. Take pleasure in the little things every day.

One small silver lining to the lock down's across the world is the slower pace of living we're all facing. Normal life is fast, and we rarely have time to appreciate the small wins and little nuances that make us smile. Lock down may be hard, but it is the perfect chance to refocus on the little things that you love, which have the power to make every day a good day.

From wearing your fluffiest slippers to making that perfect cup of tea, taking pleasure in the small things, guilt-free, can really help you get through these tough months.