5 Tips on Rushing a Sorority

5 Tips on Rushing a Sorority

How to get through Recruitment at a huge University

958

Coming into a huge public university and enduring the stress of Sorority Recruitment was an extremely daunting and stressful experience. But now being on each side of the spectrum there are a lot of tips and tricks I found that may ease the nerves of women who want to rush. The idea of talking to tons of women for days on end is for sure very pressuring but is not how the experience should be. These tips were made to show that the process is a two-way street and not as scary as it may seem.

1. Present yourself in an authentic way

There are a lot of stereotypes when it comes to being in a sorority and one of the main ones is that sorority girls are fake. I find this to be quite the opposite. A huge part about being in a sorority is their philanthropy and how it brings all the girls together. The last thing an organization needs is a woman who is not passionate about what they devote so much time to and pretends to be someone they are not. Being yourself and being vulnerable is a very admirable quality and will make you stand out.

2. They are just as nervous as you.

media.giphy.com

Going through Recruitment for the first time can be extremely daunting and overwhelming. A group of girls greet you screaming chants with huge smiles on their face can be intimidating but being on the other side is just as scary. As a member of a sorority it is part of your duty to recruit members that will make a positive and impactful addition to the huge group of girls. You want every girl that comes through your room to feel at home and welcomed and like they can open up and share who they are. As a Potential New Member but also as a Member the pressure is on so you're not alone.

3. Dress comfortably

media.giphy.com

As much time as I spent stressing about what I was wearing when I went through Recruitment I suggest avoiding making this your main focus. Presentation and how you appear is important but does not hold a candle to your character and how you present yourself facially. If you are wearing 5-inch stilettos and your feet are killing you it can definitely distract your attention away from the women you are speaking to and onto your discomfort. Sorority Rush is also a very lengthy process where you will be standing for hours on end and want to be dressed for that.

4. It’s a conversation not an interview

One of the fears I had going into rush was being able to answer the questions thrown at me. But as I actually went through the process I found this to be very much not the case. The point of this experience is to have conversations with the women you meet to gauge if you would get along with women of their caliber. Not to say all the women are the same but value-based conversations can flow very well if the values of the sorority that the women emulate, and your own, match. The interaction should be natural and feel easy, don't rush or try to talk too much or too little.

5. Your choice should be based on you

media.giphy.com

It was very stressed that your decision about which sorority you join should be based off of your experience throughout the rush experience with each sorority. You should not consult other women rushing about your decision because it is strictly a choice that will impact you. At the end of the day, I made my choice based on where I saw myself fitting in the best. I set aside any biased I had about which sorority seemed, "the best," because it was simply about choosing a home where I could be myself.