10 Tips For Living With Your Best Friend

With college comes roommates, and when you decide to move in with your best friend, it'll be a bit different than seeing them 4-5 times a week.

54
Photo by Chewy on Unsplash

Whether you're a freshman starting out or going into your last year, there is a chance you will become close friends with your perspective roommate, or you may already have that tight bond. I'm sure when many of us were younger we would plan out living with all of our friends during a hangout of some sort. We would dream of all the things we would do together and how we would decorate, but as we matured things change. Alone time is much more valued and yeah you may see your best friend every day now, however, it's a slight change when you see them every morning and night.

Here are some tips to keep your close bond with your best friend without overdoing your time together.

1. Be sure to discuss any sort of shared finances such as electric, heat, and sometimes groceries. Set up due dates for those bills to make sure no one is stuck covering the majority of any payment.

2. Make sure you spend a lot of time with this friend. It's important to know whether or not you can tolerate extended periods of time with them without attempting murder

3. Discuss cleaning habits with any roommates, you don't want cockroaches in your first month, do you?

4. Figure out who will supply certain appliances such as the television and any major kitchen machines. Therefore, when the time comes, you know who takes it home.

5. Make a list of any food or drink items the apartment or house will collectively want to make a shared list.

6. In regards to the one before this, I suggest buying a mini fridge to keep a stash in your room. If you are living with your best friend, then they are most likely comfortable enough to steal your snacks from any communal space.

7. The living room and kitchen area, as well as sometimes bedrooms, are shared. Decorate in a way that suits everyone, it's not fair that someone may walk in and it won't feel like home.

8. Set up some rules having to do with bringing any other friends or significant others to the place who do not already live there. This saves the trouble of walking in to your friend doing yoga in the living room or clashing with someone else's date night.

9. To avoid drifting apart due to the hectic schedule that comes with college life, try planning one day a week where you hang out with your roommates and do whatever. This could entail a movie night or even just a day out on the town.

10. Hey if the first nine did not work, you could always just live on your own.